Tricks for removing bearing from case

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
funmachines

#1 Post by funmachines »

I'm removing the bearings from the X440s case I have so I can replace them, but a couple of them are tough. One of the ball bearings for the transmission and the balance shaft bearing are both in blind holes without much to grab onto. Any ideas to help?

thanks

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Harbor Frieght and others have nice little internal pullers that work.Otherwise if you can get the bearings out the outer race isnt too bad to get out.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

I use a pilot type puller that works fantastic on all the bearings. It's not cheap, but I can take every bearing out of the case and still be able to reuse them. It consists of a pilot type tool that is slotted 4 ways with a lip on the bottom. After you insert it into the bearing you install a threaded pin into the pilot tool to expand the bottom of the tool against the bearing. My particular kit has a bridge type puller and a small slide hammer that then threads into the pilot tool pin. It works great!

[attachment=4500:Bearing_Tool.jpg]

funmachines

#4 Post by funmachines »

Thanks for the help. I used a slide hammer with internal jaws for most of the bearings already, but the jaws just won't fit on the two bearings left. I'll check Harbor Freight and see what they have - there is one close by my work. I sure like the nice puller set, but my hope is that I'm not doing this again soon (or at least not for 300+ hrs of use...).

Brian

wayneschofield

#5 Post by wayneschofield »

I had fun getting the balancer shaft needle-roller out myself. It was bottomed out in the case and I couldn't get a grip on it. In the end I turned a piece of steel and threaded it internally and JB welded it inside the bearing. Put a bolt through a socket and drew it straight out - easy.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

I had one were i was able to screw in a pipe tap and just pull it out. But even that way was a PITA.

Kuma

#7 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Sep 23 2007, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had one were i was able to screw in a pipe tap and just pull it out. But even that way was a PITA.

Just to add an alternate method for removing blind bearings, pack the bearing with grease place a punch with the same OD as the ID of the bearing and hit it with a hammer. The idea is the grease gets under the bearing and forces it up with hydraulic action.
This will only work with a true blind hole with nowhere for the grease to go except to force the bearing up.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

If that works I owe you one! Great tip.

Everytime I use Wistech's ground washer for the mains I am amazed how well that works.

peterock

#9 Post by peterock »

actually I have heard of the grease idea before and it does work. Just never dawned on me.