different engine fit

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
BSLEETER

#1 Post by BSLEETER »

is there any engine i could buy to fix in a cannibal frame? i think buying a different engine will be cheaper than fixing mine

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

KTM's seem to be the most popular transplant but you need to be very proficient at welding and fabricating. It will take litterally hundreds of hours to pull off well... do you have that kind of time and skill? There was a time when I had more time than money too but this would take real commitment above just trying to save a buck. This is something that somebody does out of passion and a desire to be different... and more for a time when ktm making a quad was a pipe dream and the dale motor problems were not as well known and addressed as they are today.

I think rebuilding a stock or even mildly built dale motor would be cheaper than any other 450 class motor dollar for dollar and hp for hp but that is just my opinion. You would probably spend as much for another motor that is a gamble at best than fixing yours. What let go in yours?
If it is just a crank you should be able to get it going for about $750 give or take or if you want to take it up to 50+ hp would be about double.
The guy that did the best job at a ktm transplant did document it fairly well on one of the sites so check it out.
Good luck,
Ray

SlOoT

#3 Post by SlOoT »

We have done a few KTM conversions. But that was back in 2004...

Now there is a good fix for the problems the Cannondales have. I would recommend rebuilding your Cannondale engine.

I have recently rebuilt a Cannibal with the original cannondale engine, it is cheaper and costs a lot less time then doing a conversion.

However, I must say that I am very happy with the KTM 640 conversion. Lots of power and 3 seasons without any big (engine) problems.

ciscorc

#4 Post by ciscorc »

here is a pic of a cannondale with a YZ 426 engine swap. JB racing will build a cradle for you but i personally would build up the dale engine.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I also should comment that I have seen it pulled off with a 250r motor which may be the most cost effective because there is alot of them out there in almost any power level you could want. If you decide to do something like that it would be best not to use a bike motor that does not have a counterbalancer or it will shake your hands numb.
But I stick behind best bang for the buck with the least amount of pain is building the stock motor. If later you decide to sell a repower alot of people would be afraid of it for one reason or another no matter how well it is done. Not to mention that you would loose a huge chunk of buying market because thats a tuff sell sight unseen.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Jan 11 2008, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also should comment that I have seen it pulled off with a 250r motor which may be the most cost effective because there is alot of them out there in almost any power level you could want. If you decide to do something like that it would be best not to use a bike motor that does not have a counterbalancer or it will shake your hands numb.
But I stick behind best bang for the buck with the least amount of pain is building the stock motor. If later you decide to sell a repower alot of people would be afraid of it for one reason or another no matter how well it is done. Not to mention that you would loose a huge chunk of buying market because thats a tuff sell sight unseen.

I am playing with the idea of sticking a CR500 motor in a spare frame that I have, ya I know I am expecting to deal with the vibration issues. I have a question regarding the 426 fit, how does the carb clear the frame cross member?
My issues now are enging positioning, if I tilt it forward as much as possible I can fit the carb in and almost room for the kick starter but I would prefer to have the motor mounted level as intended.
If I put the motor near level then the carb will not mount as the frame is in the way, thought about putting the 'dale throttle body on and feul injection but that just seems like a different project altogether.
If I can mount the carb with a 2" extension between the reeds and the carb it may fit but I'm not sure what that will do for performance. Then I have kick starter and exhaust to contend with, exhaust can be fitted custom just cost. kick start I think I can build an extension to fit outside of the frame or I could always just park it on a tall dune biggrin.gif

quaddude

#7 Post by quaddude »

QUOTE (ciscorc @ Jan 10 2008, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here is a pic of a cannondale with a YZ 426 engine swap. JB racing will build a cradle for you but i personally would build up the dale engine.

[size="7"][/size]

how hard was it to tern the axal round

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I saw the one made by JB racing.To fit the carb the crossmember rear shock is attached to was removed and a new crossmember was made which had clearance for the carb and then bolted to the mainframe rails.

SlOoT

#9 Post by SlOoT »

Turning the axle around is very easy, the carrier can be installed the other way around, all you need to do is make a new mount for the brake calliper and make some new holes for the chain guide.

quaddude

#10 Post by quaddude »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Nov 29 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turning the axle around is very easy, the carrier can be installed the other way around, all you need to do is make a new mount for the brake calliper and make some new holes for the chain guide.

[size="7"][/size]looking for some photos of enging swaps to get a idear of mounts an brakites