crank

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Denny08

#1 Post by Denny08 »

I need to know if I have my crank rebuilt how long will it last? Reason why is that a local shop told me that even though I put z400 in it and have it balanced it will just do the same thing.

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

what shape is the crank and rod in right now? If they are good and you put in the z400 bearing it will be good for as long as you can expect any reliable crank to last. Depending on your motor mods, your maintenance, and how often you ride you should have several good years out of it.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

I agree, you should talk to Timbomoose about this. He will better express how much smoke they are blowing up your stinkhole....

Have Tim do it to get it right. It's only $115 with a balance job.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

There really is no data on the life expectancy of a z400 crank . We would need to have one actually fail to get data like that. Its been 4 years so far since the first ones were made . If your crank builder doesnt know what step wear is on rod journals I suggest you walk out the door. Cannondales are not the only cranks to have this issue but they are one of the few to have a bulletproof fix for it. Balancing may help with vibration but will not affect rod bearing.

Denny08

#5 Post by Denny08 »

To answer your question Peterock I can still turn the rod its just real tight.The guy I talked to was C and D racing in Omaha. I guess he raced cannondales at one time, but if timbo could do that for around the price you say **** I'll just send it to him.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

That price is for rebuilding a good crank. That is one that has no wear yet. If your crank has any kind of binding grinding or doesnt spin perfectly free its totally shot and will need a new rod ,pin and bearing which is substantially more. There is no way to check a crank without pressing it carefully apart.

Denny08

#7 Post by Denny08 »

So about how much on average does cost to replace the rod bearing and pin

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

Call Timbo my man... Matczak Machining, he has a vendor forum here.

Speed 1B

#9 Post by Speed 1B »

Call Tim @ Matczak Machining. 814-796-6667.

You may have to wait a few weeks but he is busy for a good reason.

ozarkdaler

#10 Post by ozarkdaler »

Yeah you just cannot go wrong with him. He built my 467 and all I have to do is change fluids because I have honestly not had an issue with it.