AMSoil Air Filter

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Crazie

#1 Post by Crazie »

Well, I've seen these for a while, and figured I'd give it a shot. I had to slaughter a UNI to make it fit, due to the large ID of the opening, but all is secure and snug.

It's probably the largest filter that will fit. It's a "Dry" filter, that never requires oiling. They recommend simply using air to blow them out with. Similar to the new Motoworks filters.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome. I won't know how well it works until at least tomorrow.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

That looks like one of my earlier filter bases.
I have custom sized UNI filters, in stock for $19.
And, I have the K&N's for $44.

For off-road applications, and mud-slop etc., I still like the security of using some oil.
But I'm sure that your new filter will breathe plenty, so performance is not the issue.

Crazie

#3 Post by Crazie »

Could very well be an earlier mount. I purchased this quad from azcannon, so I wouldn't be able to say 100%, but I'm sure you know you're work better than anyone else.

As for the filter, the tests I've seen show that they filter better than K&N (actually the test states "Wet Gauze" type filters). Only time will tell, but if it costs me an engine, I can always go bigger! wink.gif

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Keep us informed.I sure would like to ditch the oil.Just wipe your finger in the intake and see next time your filter is dirty.How do they clean it?

Crazie

#5 Post by Crazie »

They recommend using either a vacuum on the outside (dirty side), or using low pressure air and blowing it out from the inside (clean side). Either way seems to certainly beat traditional filter cleaning methods.

m_mcgranahan

#6 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Cool to think I could ditch the oil! How much did it cost? Can you tell us the part number and measure the inside dia. of the filter so we can see if it will work with newer boomer of Timbo intakes.

God bless...

Mark

Crazie

#7 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Mar 24 2008, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Cool to think I could ditch the oil! How much did it cost? Can you tell us the part number and measure the inside dia. of the filter so we can see if it will work with newer boomer of Timbo intakes.

God bless...

Mark

No problem. List price is $61.05. You would have to talk to a dealer to get a better deal. If you need help finding one, let me know.

Dimensions: Base OD - 4.625, Flange ID - 3.5, Media Height - 5.5, Top - 4. All measurements in inches.

Here's a link to the page with a list of the available filters and K&N cross-reference (Click here, then scroll down). However, they don't have a whole lot. I had to take into account several of the dimensions by choosing this one. Others with a smaller flange had a wider body, or taller body, and I wanted to make sure the filter itself was small enough to fit.

I had to cut the flange off of a UNI and use it as an adapter. Maybe Boomer or Timbo could do some intakes with larger OD? Not sure what the cost would be and if there would be enough demand to warrant it.

UpsMan

#8 Post by UpsMan »

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

jacobw

#9 Post by jacobw »

i am an amsoil dealer and can get those i will have to look to see, might be able to do better than the 60 bucks, also i know I had an accel cool blue filter on my car and they said not to oil it you washed it and then let it dry. wink.gif

Crazie

#10 Post by Crazie »

For anyone interested, the first trip out with the new filter was great. I was going to smear a light coat of grease on the flange of the TB adapter to check for dirt and sand, but forgot. Maybe next time out.

Quad ran great though.