How To Clean The Chain?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
drbowtie

#1 Post by drbowtie »

I'm not certain if this is an accepted practice... But what I do is use extreamly hot water and a small brush with a long handle. Kinda like a spatchula with one inch by one inch by approximately one inch long bristle area. The hot soapy water does a good job of losening all the crud. Sometimes I'll hit it with just a tad of brake cleaner with the soapy water just to speed up the gunk removal. Usually comes off pretty easy with the hot water.

justfine

lets see

#2 Post by justfine »

Well, first of all I don't use chain lube. I use WD40, and I always keep my chain drenched in it. I wash the chain just like the rest of the quad, and if it is real dirty I use a hard bristle plastic brush and carb cleaner. Then I dry it off really well with a towel. As stated before, then I drench it in WD40.

gc714

#3 Post by gc714 »

I've always used wd40, but then again I've always had street bikes. I was just wodering if everyone did use chain lube? For the most part it's nasty stuff. Is it really better to use, or is good old wd40 fine? Thanks

Speed 1B

my 2 cents

#4 Post by Speed 1B »

I use Belray chain lube with good results. i hope you guys using the WD dont have o ring chains, wd with break down the o rings. its a no no. on a standard chain, its great though. the best way to clean an oring chain is with a toothbrush after you soak it in Automatic trans fluid. I soak mine for a night, then scrub it. after that i wipe it down with a rag. Trans fluid is an orings best friend. if you clean you chain regularly in the fluid, the really is no need for any lube because the fluid oozes out of the chain for about a week and after its done dripping it is still in there, Hope this helps.

justfine

what a mess.......

#5 Post by justfine »

I tried to use that blue chain lube (can't remember the name brand). That crap gets all over everything. Made a real mess......

fyrmedic

#6 Post by fyrmedic »

I've always used chain wax on all my quads.. works great.

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

Me use Chain wax tooooo.... Makes a little mess but seams to goop things up good...

DirtDragon

#8 Post by DirtDragon »

I have heard that WD40 is bad for the O-Rings and regular chain lube is for non O-Ring chains. So, I use chain Wax. If you just spray it on the chain it will not stick properly and make a mess of your ATV. The best results are obtained by putting the rear of the quad in the air. Start the wheeler and put it in gear. Run it in gear for say 30 seconds and then spray the chain while it is still rotating. The chain will be warm and since it is moving you can get a nice even spray that won't fling all over your ATV.

DangerRanger

#9 Post by DangerRanger »

AAAHHHHH...stop with the BS about WD40, it will not hurt an O-ring chain. It has been used for years at the shop, and by hundreds of countless riders around us. The original formula, would swell and dry out orings, but that is not the case now. I have been using it on the new dale and all the other bikes/quads I have owned and NEVER had a problem. Talk to an WD40tech if not convinced. It will however need to be put on the chain every ride, but you should maintain it like that anyways.

Ben

jcv440

#10 Post by jcv440 »

Hmm, I think I'm going to try the ATF. I use a chain scrubber kit that I got from Parts Unlimited when it's real dirty. Works pretty good. Other than that, it's just a pressure wash and fresh Chain Wax when it dries. Like someone already stated, lube your chain when it's warm so the metal absorbs the lube.

Ben,

Your a bullchitter! WD40 on a chain!?!?! biggrin.gif tongue.gif