oil everywhere!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
speedracer

#1 Post by speedracer »

Just put on an alumnium valve cover,no leaks,plus it runs alot cooler after drilling out the plugged up hole in the impeller housing.Rode it around the house for about a half hour,dang theres oil all over the ecu tray basicly every thing in the front.Sounds like the scavange pump?Should I just put some oil in it to see if its coming from the breather hose.THIS DALE IS CURSIED!!!!!

jwheat

#2 Post by jwheat »

Sounds like it is over filled with oil.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Ya overfilled it..... If you put in 1.5 qts then you put about 1/4 qt too much. Drain some oil, problem solved. I'm surprised you didn't hydrolock it actually! Filling it to the full line on the dipstick means it is too full. Boomer actually told me that he has found dipsticks with the full line in different places!!!!

I fill mine with 1 qt after a typical oil change, then start it and let it idle for a few minutes. If it is halfway up my dipstick then call it good. I check it every morning when I ride, and mine doesn't use any oil. My friend's sometimes use a bit, so they just top it off first thing in the morning. Make sure you check it every morning! My other friend's was using oil and he ended up running it dry over the weekend in the dunes.

If it does take more than 1 qt it will barely take anymore than that.

Someone will be on here to tell me I'm wrong in a moment, but trust me and jwheat, you are overfilled...

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

Sorry, but I just remembered something else... It could be stripped scavenge pump gears too. You can check by removing the clutch cover and moving the bke forward/backward in gear, watch the gears rotate and make sure all the teeth are still there. You may not be able to see each gear, they may be submerged in oil, in which case you have to tip it up on the right side and walk it back and forth.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Just check your hose connections maybe you missed one.Then take dipstick out and check for oil flow.

By the way for a experiment I put 2 yes 2 qts of oil in my motor and guess what it still didnt spray oil or hydrolock.1.5qts never less.Never.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Just as an experiment we have filled to the full line before, and they hydrolock. Never 1.5 qts. Never.

27, maybe your full line is lower than everyone elses?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Never use dipstick.I just put 1.5 qts in and check flow have never had a problem.Something is wrong if you cant run 1.5qts.Like I said there is 2qts in mine right now.Just to see if I could CAUSE a problem.Nothing.

Deatons you are making totally unnecessary recommendations that I guarantee will lead to a engine failure for someone.1qt is just plain wrong.

Speed 1B

#8 Post by Speed 1B »

Deatons you are always going after Steve and its getting old.

yamadjs08

#9 Post by yamadjs08 »

Not sure what is right or wrong, but I always thought 1.5 quarts was what was supposed to be put in and thats what I've ran now for 3 years no motor issues and certainly never any puking. I've ran around 1.8 quarts with no issues before also...

Easy E

#10 Post by Easy E »

I've always used 1.5 quarts on my quads after a complete drain and never had an overfill issue. Page 164 of the ATV owners manual actually states a dry fill is 1.7 quarts - so an average oil change at 1.5 quarts is perfect.

Hydro lock has nothing to do with oil level...