stator

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
311racer

#1 Post by 311racer »

I thought I had a bad voltage regulator. I replaced it with a friend of mines, but it could have been bad also. I do have a voltage meter, can I test the stator at the wires that plug into the regulator. I would hate to replace the stator if I don't have to.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes, using your meter set on ohms. Do you have the EFI and electrical manual? Has really good directions for testing all of it. Look in the components section.

[attachment=6736:5002401_...20Manual.zip]

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Testing the stator at the wires at the plug only checks for opens and shorts to ground. If your wires are melted together at the clip it can still read good on the meter but not charge. In that case you need to remove the stator and flywheel and physically check them and not just look at it.

311racer

#4 Post by 311racer »

Welll I did all testing i chould do. I hooked the dm up and reading no faults. I went to moniter the ecu you and battery voltage was 12.29 running and not chargen. I felt he stator wires close to the voltage regulator and they were hot. I chould smell something like plastic melting. Is my stator gone.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Could the problem be at the other end of the stator? Have you already checked the wires under the sharp metal clip behind the flywheel?

Like Wistech said, that is a very common trouble spot. The wires can ground to the case or short against themselves. I have suspected that to be a cause for some voltage regulator failures, since one time I repaired an obvious bad stator before also learning that the volt regulator was shot. It seems the odds of both units having trouble were remote, so I blamed it on the stator wires....
after the stator was fixed, and a replacement voltage regulator installed, all was perfect.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=8027 I just had to do this yesterday. It wasn't charging. I did the static test and it checked out ok. I had a spare stator and it was about the same on the static test. On to the dynamic test. It is done right at the plug too. Very easy to do. I barely had any voltage at all. So, at that point I swapped out stators and re-tested and I had lots of voltage. I reconnected it to the regulator and tested the voltage at the battery and it was charging at 14.something. Good to go. I'm almost starting to feel competent.

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

Canniboomer, I think you are right. When a stator goes out from wires rubbing or one of the bolts backing out and rubbing on the flywheel, I think it must sent some crazy voltage to the regulator and the regulator can't take it. I had a regulator take a crap and right after that I found a bolt backed out and rubbing on the flywheel.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Roger is this the bolt that backed out last year or did it do it again?

Great job testing!

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

Its the bolt from last year. It did not do it again. They were all good and tight. The stator looks kind of roughed up on the back like the wires may have been rubbing on the case.

peterock

#10 Post by peterock »

Saved you the trip to Walmart???