Who has changed the coolant impellar seal with the motor in the quad

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
HumboldtCannondale

#1 Post by HumboldtCannondale »

Well I just finished doing the stud update and the aluminum valve cover and aluminum impellar. When I started the bike there was some coolant dripping from the weep hole. So I ordered the seal and the impellar cover with the nipple on it because mine was the older style without the self bleeder. So my question is has anyone been able too change that seal and cover with the motor still in the bike? I would hate to drop the engine again. If anyone was sucsessful about how long did it take, and what method did you use?

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

Yes people have changed it. Run a wood screw in and yang it out. just don't get the seal behind it. Lube up the new one and press it in with a socket. However, you are probably just as far ahead to drop the motor as it's pretty tight area to work.

speed2424

#3 Post by speed2424 »

Do you have the newer style coolant bottle for it too?

HumboldtCannondale

#4 Post by HumboldtCannondale »

QUOTE (speed2424 @ Sep 9 2008, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have the newer style coolant bottle for it too?

Yeah I ordered the newer style bottle today from canniboomer.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I would not drop the motor.Will save alot of time leaving it in.I could change that seal in a half hour.Easy.

HumboldtCannondale

#6 Post by HumboldtCannondale »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 9 2008, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not drop the motor.Will save alot of time leaving it in.I could change that seal in a half hour.Easy.

How do you get the cover off so fast? Let me know your trick and tips for removing it. Also should I put and goop anywhere around the seal? Do you goop between the two seals?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

The tough one is the upper right.I used a 1/4 drive small 6mm socket on a 1/4" breaker bar.

Put silicone on outside edge of seal and grease the cam.Nothing between seals other than grease which gets pushed in there.

HumboldtCannondale

#8 Post by HumboldtCannondale »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 9 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The tough one is the upper right.I used a 1/4 drive small 6mm socket on a 1/4" breaker bar.

Put silicone on outside edge of seal and grease the cam.Nothing between seals other than grease which gets pushed in there.

Should I pack the gap between the seals with grease or just put a small amount on the shaft itself? When you say silicone the outside edge are you talking about the little lip that pushes up to the valve cover and head?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Should I pack the gap between the seals with grease or just put a small amount on the shaft itself? Shaft itself.Dont forget spring faces outward on waterpump side.A little in the seal itself where it rides on shaft is good measure also.

When you say silicone the outside edge are you talking about the little lip that pushes up to the valve cover and head?
The outer edge of seal including the little lip.It lubes it nice and will seal it if any nicks should happen when pushing it in.When you are ready to put cover on a slight film of silicone over o-ring and a dot on each of the valvecover seal protrusions.Then go grab a snack or something for a hour or so to let it all dry a bit before you add water.Check to be sure the bleed hole in cover isnt plugged up also.I like to drill it to 1/8" but not necessary if not plugged.Sounds complicated but really its not difficult.Better than pulling motor out for sure.

HumboldtCannondale

#10 Post by HumboldtCannondale »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 9 2008, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should I pack the gap between the seals with grease or just put a small amount on the shaft itself? Shaft itself.Dont forget spring faces outward on waterpump side.A little in the seal itself where it rides on shaft is good measure also.
When you say silicone the outside edge are you talking about the little lip that pushes up to the valve cover and head?
The outer edge of seal including the little lip.It lubes it nice and will seal it if any nicks should happen when pushing it in.When you are ready to put cover on a slight film of silicone over o-ring and a dot on each of the valvecover seal protrusions.Then go grab a snack or something for a hour or so to let it all dry a bit before you add water.Check to be sure the bleed hole in cover isnt plugged up also.I like to drill it to 1/8" but not necessary if not plugged.Sounds complicated but really its not difficult.Better than pulling motor out for sure.

Thanx for the help, I cant wait for the parts to come so I can get back to riding. biggrin.gif