Couple ????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
desertbound

#1 Post by desertbound »

So I found this.
[attachment=7704:tranny.jpg]

I forgot to pull the tranny filter when I drained the tranny oil. Went back today to do that so I didn't forget. The shavings in the pic are only half of the amount. I could barely get it out because it was so packed. Also it looks like an epoxy plug from somewhere in the tranny. Or if not where could it be from?

Also, since my crank seems to be good, is it possible to pull the tranny plate without pulling the head and crank plate?

Lastly, where can I find a replacement tranny with the motard gear.

It shifted just fine and everything, so maybe it is a minor problem. The clutch and basket seem fine. I'll find more out tomorrow when I pull the motor. Oh well, at least I can check my valves and cams while I have the motor out.

Crazie

#2 Post by Crazie »

I won't be able to tell you exactly what I have, but I know for a fact I have two trannys at the house. I don't know if they are good/bad/indifferent, but if it will help get you to the dunes, I'll gladly donate until you have a replacement.

I can take pics of them when I get home, but again, I wouldn't be able to tell you if they have the motard gear or if there is anything wrong with them.

Of course, I guess whether you need them or not depends on what else you find?

desertbound

#3 Post by desertbound »

That is very generous of you. I don't need the motard gear. Just thought someone may have one. 5th gear is pretty much useless unless I'm going downhill. I will gladly pay you for a tranny if I need one. I'm gonna tear it down tomorrow and see what kind of damage is done. Hopefully it's just a bearing or something. If thats the case I'll be happy. There were a lot of long thin shavings so that kinda worries me.

2mike18

#4 Post by 2mike18 »

You can pull the transmission cartridge without taking the head off and crank plate out. Its really sweet how cannondale set them up. The motard gear is something you will probably need to buy and install. I got my motard from brad at blackwidow and wistech installed it for me.

desertbound

#5 Post by desertbound »

I'll know more tomorrow and go from there.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

Brad should have a motard 5th... maybe, he was nearly out of them when I ordered mine.

My Glamis comes with one installed, for the inexpensive cost of just over $3000... smile.gif

Installation of the gear set is pretty easy.

Crazie

#7 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 11 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is very generous of you. I don't need the motard gear. Just thought someone may have one. 5th gear is pretty much useless unless I'm going downhill. I will gladly pay you for a tranny if I need one. I'm gonna tear it down tomorrow and see what kind of damage is done. Hopefully it's just a bearing or something. If thats the case I'll be happy. There were a lot of long thin shavings so that kinda worries me.

No problem....

Again, though, I have no idea what is in either tranny or the shape of them, since I've only moved them around the garage to get them out of the way.

desertbound

#8 Post by desertbound »

I'm starting to think the epxy plug is from the tranny oil pump. Behind the drive gear there is a spring/checkball system in the pump cover. there is usually a cap screw there, but I know a lot of the checkball areas on the oil system have been epoxied in my motor since it was a late 03 motor. the spring would explain the long slivers. I'm just wondering where the ball is.....

The assembly I'm talking about is on page 139 of the engine service manual. It's behind the small oil pump gear. Good thing I replaced the oild pump gears with metal ones. Plastic ones would probably be ruined.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

You need to find out where that plug came from. It could have came from the oil bridge for the motor. Also when a tranny isn't pumping oil your timing chain gets starved and also your timing gears look them over very closely. But depends on how long it was ran the tranny may still be good,you'll know right away when you pull it out.

desertbound

#10 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Dec 11 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to find out where that plug came from. It could have came from the oil bridge for the motor. Also when a tranny isn't pumping oil your timing chain gets starved and also your timing gears look them over very closely. But depends on how long it was ran the tranny may still be good,you'll know right away when you pull it out.

Good thing I run redline. That smurf puke is coated all over the inside. I can look in with the clutch cover off and see no visible damage and redline has coated everything really thick. Doesn't mean there isn't any though. The motor has at the most 5 hours on it and only 2 minutes at the most with it making noise. I shut it down quick. The epoxy plug really has me at a loss right now. It's big. Like the size of a dime. I'll find out tomorrow when I take the motor out.