think i need a rebuild!!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
iWantaTurbo

#1 Post by iWantaTurbo »

i have an 02 speed. all stock exept custom muffler. i have rode this quad hard since 03 never done any thing but change teh oil a couple of times.

still runs great (just like the day i got it) but i don't want it to come apart on the trail so i think its time for a rebuild.

Im ok with the power it has now but more is always good too.

where or who should i have do it?

ball park what will it cost?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

ALot depends on if your rod bearing has eaten its way thru your rod and crank pin... which is likely especially if you have only changed the oil a couple of times! That will be a min $150 to $500 crank work, to freshen the head $300... port it which is biggest bang for the buck double that. All the rest of the updates and replacement stuff $250 give or take. So 1 to 1.5k all said and done more power, 1k stock.
If you have put alot of hours on it you have been quite lucky so far!

m_mcgranahan

#3 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Yep its best to do it before it blows apart! If you havent ever gotten any metal shavings int he oil filter housing or in the oil when you changed it, your crank might be the $150 end of things, if you have then it will be alot more. Just a thought.

God bless...

Mark

iWantaTurbo

#4 Post by iWantaTurbo »

Thanks every one!!!

where should i have this done?

would i be better off to just buy a motor and keep mine as a spare? i see them around for $1000-1500

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

Having a spare is always a good option. However, picking up a spare only doubles your problems at first unless you know what was done to it as well.

I can take care of getting your crank updated. Prices fall in line with what Ray mentioned.

m_mcgranahan

#6 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Ummm, yeah, so I agree that one persons deffinition of "recently rebuilt" or 'freshly redone..." etc can be quite different than anothers. I got a quad with a few races on a rebuilt motor, but he failed to put oil in it for the last day of racing so it was destroyed. At least if you go through the process of building it yourself, or having one built, you know it is really fresh and done right. Just my 2c

God bless...

Mark

speedracer

#7 Post by speedracer »

Get a 03 fuel tank also.