Cano Moto -Review

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

Hello All,

Summary:

In a real short story, i traded my YZ250 "98" for a 2002 Canniable a few weeks back. It ran, but was leaking fluid. took it for a 30min ride and it was leaking coolant and puking oil all over the place. With info i gained from the site within hrs of posting i ran a hose to help with the puking and replaced all the fluids. We ler her run for about 15mins; everything looked good so i hot the local dunes for a ride. She was running real hard, but about 15mins into the ride i thought i popped a raditiaor hose, but shortly figured out that i had a bad head gasket "know now that it was the sleeve", and towed her in. So the project began.......

With the help from everybody on the site; espically DAVE "canniboomer" "Cano-Moto", Wistech, C27, and Kdeal. i knew what to look for and all the tips i could even think of asking about. I tore the case apart and found a bunch of not so fun things.

1. the sleeve was indeed cracked "at the dimple on the exhaust side"
2. the TDC bolt had been jerry rigged and at some point in its life, backed itself out and went everywhere in the case. This left the engine oil mixing with tranny fluid, and i'm sure it never made it to the head consedering how thick the tranny oil is.
3. couple bad clutch rings
4. oh...the piston was trashed as well
5. after sending the head to dave "Cano Moto".....it was trashed as well; which i pretty much knew, but either way i wanted to rebuild it and have it opened some.

So i will be posting photos of this complete build hopefully helping wit new and old members.

After many....many.....emails and extremly detailed phone calls with Dave i decided to send my head to him and place an order with everything i would need to complete this build. After repairing the TDC bolt location and cleanig the entire engine / case, i've been waiting for my very large order From "Cannibommer / Dave / Cano-Moto" and finally got the knock rom fedex this mourning.

Wow, dave is not just informative, but very well organized and really pays attention to the small details. My head / parts could have not been packaged any better! I took a few shots of this as well. So i want to say a big "THANK YOU" to DAVE for all of his help and info so far. He's been a pleasure to both speak with and do business with.......the kinda guy that will bend over backwards to help someone out.

I blew my lower back out a few days back "been going on for some time now" and might have a herniated disk, so the build may take a bit longer, but i will post photos and info as i go. the only thing that might give me a problem would be timing, but with this site i've already found all the info i should need not to mention Dave said to just give him a call and he would walk me through it.....

here are some photos of what's been done so far.....with shots of the new parts and new head, opened up with all new seals / cams....i'm going to have to resize the photos of the head before being sent out along with other shots of the case.....

i have also included some photos of the plastics i cut and painted. i will do a write up on this asap. i used a product that has worked well in the past for me on both metal and plastic....got the decals from Cano-Moto as well.....i'm not big on decals, but i got to let everyone know this sucker is a Cannondale and MADE IN THE USA!

I will keep you all posted.....thanks again to everyone, and espically CANO-MOTO smile.gif

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

Dave does do a nice job in labeling and putting his stuff together.

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jan 16 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave does do a nice job in labeling and putting his stuff together.

Definetly. Always a pleasure to do business with him. I have been in motorsports of MANY types through the years, and its hard to find good distributors that have constant good service. Dave is one of the few exceptions.

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

Glad to see you didnt give up,good-luck with your build.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Hah,.... thanks too much you guys!

Wow Kevin, you sure do a LOT of work in a very short time!....I think that package may have arrived just a couple of hours ago!.... and you're working with a sore back? Your enthusiasm for our beloved machines is really nice to witness.

And that plastic finish looks great!
But I wonder how you will hold down the front plastic? I'm sure you'll figure out something custom for that.
Take care, and thanks again.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome!Always look forward to build reports.

67z400

#7 Post by 67z400 »

Excellent story! Keep up the good work guys! Dave is a great person to deal with.

polyesterpig

#8 Post by polyesterpig »

instead of fixing the TDC bolt hole, why not just buy a new cartridge plate? You can find them for about $35.00.

Just helping you spend some money to help the economy!!!!!!!!!!!

kevin444

#9 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ Jan 20 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
instead of fixing the TDC bolt hole, why not just buy a new cartridge plate? You can find them for about $35.00.

Just helping you spend some money to help the economy!!!!!!!!!!!

i hear ya! the motor is done and i finishing the final BS as i type. jsut not too sure where the ground wires bolt up to? i'm thinking behind or at the where the fuel preassure regulator is, buti only had this quad for a very...very short time before the build. thnaks for your input. hopefully i will have a strong motor here, and will not need to tear it down anytime soon.

kevin