clutch basket

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

hello again everyone......i've almost completed my rebuild, but came across somthing new.....

it seems that the clutch basket has a little play in it "little loose". is the copper bushing / bearing replaceable....or can it be upgraded? thanks again, and hope fully will have some new pics for the orginal thread soon!

kevin

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Yes it can be replaced. They can also be machined out to run a roller bearing but that hasnt worked out so good since the surface heat treat is gone. I think I have some extra bushings the press in . It will take some time to locate.

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 18 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it can be replaced. They can also be machined out to run a roller bearing but that hasnt worked out so good since the surface heat treat is gone. I think I have some extra bushings the press in . It will take some time to locate.

great.....just let me know......i'm sure boomer wil be chiming in soon as well.....

kevin

Speed 1B

#4 Post by Speed 1B »

If you are a hard rider with lots of holeshots the bushing will never last. If you are a recreational rider the bushing will do fine.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

I wonder if there is enough meat on the basket to be bored out to 32mm, then just press in a needle bearing with an outer race a 25x32x20. http://www.qbcbearings.com/BuyRFQ/NeedleB_ST_OE_M.htm# But then again after all this trouble I'm sure its just cheaper to buy a basket already meant for a bearing.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

I agree Patrick. I have a couple of ID-bored clutch baskets here, but I'm no longer planning to use them with the needle bearings, unless the basket is re-hardened, DLC coated,...... or bored out to the next available cup bearing as you mentioned.

But we have also seen some very hard ridden machines with minimal wear on the bushing. I think the problem is maybe overstated, or maybe also a function of oil quality and change intervals. If you compare actual basket wobble, sometimes a used bushinged basket may have less wobble than using new bearings with a used shaft and basket.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I agree . I have not seen serious wear on the brass bushings except on a used for serious holeshots and drag racing. And if they do wear they are easily pressed out. Still have not been home to check on my supply.

offroadfan

#8 Post by offroadfan »

So I have a basket with the bushing removed and two bearings instead. What has been the problem? What do I need to worry about?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Ihere dont think there is anything to worry about. The clutch only spins on the shaft when you have it pulled in. Maybe thats why mine never wear regardless of the bearing . I pretty much only use the clutch for starting and stopping and avoid drag racing since it is heck on the parts.

Happyboy

#10 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 26 2009, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pretty much only use the clutch for starting and stopping and avoid drag racing since it is heck on the parts.

Sounds like an excuse a slow person would use. wink.gif