fx400 owners

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Trouble

#1 Post by Trouble »

What are you guys doing for the woods? I took mine out this past weekend and while I love the power and throttle response, it's almost too much for the woods, I'm hard on the clutch with the way the woods are, it's pretty tight and slow moving at times, a lot of single track. I'm running the stock gearing so its not like I can go with a bigger rear sprocket, it's huge now and a smaller front is out of the question also as I only have 13 load bearing teeth now. It rips at the slag pits though and will be fine for mx. Having a higher idle doesn't help things much either. I do plan to use the Honda for the majority of the woods ventures but I do like to show the Cannondale off a bit though tongue.gif Well maybe I'm just being a panzy and should accept the fact that this isn't a trail quad, I remember reading something about the throttle plate was different after the fx, will a later throttle body work on mine as I have the 500 series computer?

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

You can get a 44th rear also if you want.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

You might want to think about switching over to the whole 1000 ecu system. When stock the Blaze map really smooths things out. Makes it almost 400ex like. If you ever do go into the motor you could also run highend cam timing which will soften up the bottom end. Your steering stem also can be upgraded to the newer one which slows steering down at the wheels.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

If you don't change to the 1000 sytem, you should at least swap out the Bellcrank plate, for the Updated version. The flatter shape of the bellcrank gives better low throttle control, and will help to tame the jumpy hit just off idle. $12 shipped.

Trouble

#5 Post by Trouble »

nah i probably wont change my computer,i may look into the throttle plate deal eventually,right now though the 2 stroke style delivery is just plain ignorant,my buddy with his 450r honda hopes that with a hrc kit his will run like mine.my fx does seem to run stronger than a cannibal my buddy had that i can remember,its almost ridiculous,cant imagine a ported head.

Dachshund

#6 Post by Dachshund »

A ported head wouldn't hurt you one bit on the bottom end. It's mid to top end that they really make things interesting.

Trouble

#7 Post by Trouble »

yeah thats what im gonna do next time i have the motor down.Its already faster than my buddys 450r now.I wont get carried away in heavily modding the motor,these things appear to be fragile as it is.so far so good,after the crank i havent had to tear it out...knock on wood