battery relocation & question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

hello all,

bored during this hot $@# summer in Vegas, got the quad about done minus plastics, shrouds, and few little things. i would like to relocate the battery to another location and will find one, but curious if any of you have done this and where did you mount it? at the least i will move all the wiring (+ & -).

also,

i have yet to try, but can we push, roll, or drop start these machines? always for get too try. and if so, would the bike run on a dead battery once started? basically will the stator push enough juice to start and keep her running without damage? i love having elec start, but would love to have the piece of mind f having a kick start....

take it easy......

kevin

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I'm not sure if you can relocate the battery unless you make a tray that mounts to the subframe like the 400ex. The stock location is good because it keeps that weight low and closer to the center of the bike. Some people had/have a dual battery setup. The 2nd battery was placed just in front of the radiator between the a-arms. From what I have heard, the 2nd battery was smaller so the stock battery might not fit.

Yes you can bump start the machine. I sort of remember somebody saying that it wasn't good for some one reason or another but I have done it plenty of times with no problems yet.

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

jess,

yea i though about the center of gravity thing.....its only a few pounds though, but would look clean in there with it moved. i figured we could bump, push start, but will it run on the stator alone?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

You can bump start the machine as long as your doing it because the battery is dead and not because there is and engine problem that will be destorying parts forcing them keep working. I wouldn't mount the battery on the subframe as the subframes amplify vibration. Forward or in the ecu tray would be the only good choice but the stock location is the best for said reasons.

speed2424

#5 Post by speed2424 »

I have the full sized battery mounted between the frame rails between the a-arms in one of mine.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

I personally think it looks clean in the stock location. I like it all bundled up together. I always thought that batteries looked ridiculous on the subframe. Like they just added electric start after the design of the machine. It looks a little funny up front too. If you can fit it in the ECU tray you could hide it. I like how the yfz battery is under the seat but again the weight is high and its hard to get to if you have to do anything to/with the battery like jump starting or battery tender.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

I have to disagree, I hate the batter and fuel pump where they are in stock location. It looks way too cluttered and its just more stuff to affect air flow on the motor.

Here are the pics of my battery relocation. Yeah, its more wire running around but its not too bad.

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

I like the fuel pump relocation to there but I just don't like the battery anywhere else that I have seen it.