engine oil going into trans

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
moto440

#1 Post by moto440 »

so i got my crank snapper all together and it runs great, but i noticed my trans was overfilled and very dark colored in the window, so i drained it and out comes 2 qts or so, so i go to drain the engine and only 1/2 to 3/4 qt comes out, i rode the atv 2 times since the last fluid change and got lucky apparently no damage was done, so i am looking at threads about cracks in the case and all and assume that should be my starting point.

Any ideas other common places to look for leaks? it wont be coming apart for a bit still since i am currently tearing my other moto down and i dont mind changing fluids every ride now that i know to watch my trans window for color and level change!! i change fluids every other ride anyways

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

oil bridge. Did you pressure test the motor after you put it back together?

moto440

#3 Post by moto440 »

of course not !!! what would be leaking on the bridge? its o-rings

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Well the oil bridge is easy to pressure test for with just by putting pressure on the vent line (less than 10psi regulated) and pulling the clutch cover off. You need to pull the shift lever off as well. 5 minute job.
The oil bridge orings are number one for leaks. The majority of the time when installing if you dont lube them well and ease them on they rip the outer oring .
Second most common is the crank plate that a complete teardown to fix that. In fact a leak anywhere else pretty much is a engine pull to fix.
Id say 50percent of the engines I build have some tiny leak somewhere that is easy caught after the valve cover is installed and crankcase pressurized. Catching it then sure beats going threw what moto440 is going through right now.
Ive seen oil pump housings with cracks,cyllinder head drain tubes leak,cracked crank plates,cracked cases,valve cover gaskets,cam seals leak, heck even a missing top dead center bolt.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

Its sad, its a 10 min job and can save hours of work. You never know you might even have a leak bad enough that you could do engine damage. How long do you think the motor will run with less then a quart of oil? And ran long enough its going to pump all the motor oil into the trans. Being O-ring doesn't mean anything, other then you don't have to scrap gaskets off.

UpsMan

#6 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Sep 21 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long do you think the motor will run with less then a quart of oil?

According to thedeatons, thats exactly how much oil you should run!! LOL

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Sep 21 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to thedeatons, thats exactly how much oil you should run!! LOL

LOL..I forgot about that. my bad. I better go drain 1 qt out. lol

kevin444

#8 Post by kevin444 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 21 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the oil bridge is easy to pressure test for with just by putting pressure on the vent line (less than 10psi regulated) and pulling the clutch cover off. You need to pull the shift lever off as well. 5 minute job.
The oil bridge orings are number one for leaks. The majority of the time when installing if you dont lube them well and ease them on they rip the inner oring .
Second most common is the crank plate that a complete teardown to fix that. In fact a leak anywhere else pretty much is a engine pull to fix.
Id say 50percent of the engines I build have some tiny leak somewhere that is easy caught after the valve cover is installed and crankcase pressurized. Catching it then sure beats going threw what moto440 is going through right now.
Ive seen oil pump housings with cracks,cyllinder head drain tubes leak,cracked crank plates,cracked cases,valve cover gaskets,cam seals leak, heck even a missing top dead center bolt.

missing top dead center bolt....ha ha i came across that on my first build; fun!

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

Yep, mine was an oil bridge also.

moto440

#10 Post by moto440 »

So now I changed fluids and start it up and now she blows smoke like crazy. It runs good and starts right up but smokes horribly bad. I'm thinking rings got fried although it doesn't seem short on power at all My luck just keeps getting better smile.gif

Fixed I'm an idiot just overfilled the oil a bit. I've forgotten how touchy they are about that