Smoking 468 falicon

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ljdbn

#1 Post by ljdbn »

Everything was great when I parked it in the garage, went out to ride and when it started up, it smoked so baddly that I couldn't see my house. My question is...what could cause this or are my suspicions warranted? The quad still starts & runs perfect. When I started it up the first time it blew oil all over my wife's truck & the driveway, and the HMF smoked for 10 mins. After I shut it off. The totally updated/upgraded motor has 43hrs on it so I suspect that someone has dumped oil in my silencer. I'm just so upset that I haven't tried to investigate. I know that if I take off the silencer & start it, that would confirm my suspicions, just nervous as it would mean an inside job and where do I go from there. I just cannot think of anything else that would show these symtoms. Sooo...it's either the final straw for the Dales or my 21yr old son. I'm at a loss & any input would be appreciated.

Jim

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Jim,

You have run into the dreaded sticking check ball in the oil pump. There is nothing wrong. When it get's real bad you will not be able to even crank the motor over (like the battery is dead). The only fix is to change the oil pump. It won't happen all of the time, usually just a piece of dirt stuck under the spring and ball.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

If you let it sit for more than a week or two and you want to avoid this and confirm that your checkball is leaking you can pull the sump drain bolt and drain into a clean container and pour it back into the frame. Sometimes this check ball thing can be intermitent and sometimes not, since this is your first experience you can hope it was just stuck or you let it sit so long that a slow leak back finally filled the case.
You are probably right on the full mark with your oil because just a tiny bit more would set up the hydrolock condition described above. You could mask the problem by running more toward the add mark but that can set up for starts a little on the dry side.

ljdbn

#4 Post by ljdbn »

thanks guys... I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet but I will be sure and let you know how it turns out. thanks again for the tech help, I was really at a loss, and you have restored my faith. I know I keep threatening to come to a group ride, just never seems to work out, but I am really looking forward to my first one soon.

Update: my oldest son, the one that got injured back in Feb. , Is doing pretty good and we even have him riding his yfz 450 again, I'd say he's prolly 90%. But considering where we started e
with his injury.... we are truly blessed.

I really appreciate all the kind words from this group, it really helped .

Jim

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

Jim,

That's great news about your son. Maybe we can meet up in the spring.

Ken

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

A leaking check ball is many times an indicator that debris is being produced by the engine and a problem may be arising. Crank failures are a very common cause . Are you using magnets and checking filters for particles?