Is this normal?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fast moto

#1 Post by fast moto »

[attachment=9219:DSCF2619.JPG]Just wanted to know if its normal to have a good sized gap between the crankshaft gear and the crank plate and for the oil pump gear to touch the crankshaft gear?

Lightman02

#2 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (fast moto @ Oct 24 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=9219:DSCF2619.JPG]Just wanted to know if its normal to have a good sized gap between the crankshaft gear and the crank plate and for the oil pump gear to touch the crankshaft gear?

You sure the crankshaft gear is seated all the way, looks like it should go in more, they def should not be rubbing.

fast moto

#3 Post by fast moto »

Even if i put the other gears on the crank and torque it tight, the gap is still there. Any ideas of what could cause this?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Is the crank bearing or inner race seated all the way on flywheel side?if not gear could have run out of splines to slide further on.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

It would seem that you have zero crank sideplay remaining, and that the crank would be rather stiff to turn over? Do you happen to have an early case with a later (too thick) stator seal? If that's checks out OK, then I would also think it's from a partially seated race or outer bearing, as mentioned -- unless the crank itself is too wide.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

All this is assuming you know that that gear has a o-ring seal inside and you might have to give it a goop tap to get it all the way on.Also could be a nick in the splines.Did you torque the cranknut yet?

fast moto

#7 Post by fast moto »

I took the motor apart and had blackwidow update my crank (z400 bearing, balanced) it????????s the same crank that has always been in the quad. The bearings are the same ones that were in when I took the crank out. The crank plate is also the same no machining marks or anything. The only thing that changed was the crank was updated everything else on the bottom end is the same as it was. The flywheel side bearing and race are good. The crank has a little side to side play and was very easy to turn until I put the oil filter housing and pump on, then it got a few hard spots (figured that was normal since there is no oil in it). I have put all the other gears on the crank and torque it and everything seems to lineup perfectly. I was actually going to just live with the gap until I noticed the oil gear rubs on the crank gear. If there is anything I can do to fix this please let me know.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

It appears that there is absolutely nothing wrong. I went out on two different motors and found the same thing. SO, alas this is normal and we never really noticed it before.....

[attachment=9223:DSC_0166a.jpg]

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

say what kdeal?....there are at least 6 reasons why a crank could be pinched too tightly, and any tightly-squeezed installation will cause some left-side bulge of the crankplate race -- while the bearings races are smashed outward hard-pressed against the rollers and outer bearing cups,...which could hold out the gear by many thousanths.
But OK, he has now stated that the crank sideplay is OK and not pinched, so those causes are now ruled out.

One other thing just to mention...the primary-gear inner O-ring? Did you happen to slip the new one over the crankshaft?...instead of inserting it inside the gear? I have run in to that question before on a phone call, where a guy was looking at the parts catalog and did not yet notice the inner-gear placement for that O-ring.

I have a motor here with visible daylight between those gears. It's not very much, but no friction rubbing is evident.

fast moto

#10 Post by fast moto »

Ok that is good to hear. I really appreciate the help, and yes I put the o-ring inside the gear correctly. thanks for the help.