Testing a new sleeve

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
hartracing3478

#1 Post by hartracing3478 »

What is the cylinder I.D of a 460, how tight of a tolerance are you guys holding between the piston and sleeve? Im going make a sleeve out of 316 stainless steel on our Mazak cnc lathe tomorrow, and im going to have it diamond plateau honed and nicom coated.We coat our Crygenic valves and piping at work. This stuff is amazing.Has anyone tried this before? Nicom has Excellent sliding wear resistance usually 2 to 10 times better than chrome ,Buildup possible up to 0.030+ ,Superior adhesion to all metals including aluminum and titanium and Outstanding corrosion resistance. This is also the same stuff NASA uses to coat injectors on their rocket nozzles. Has anyone tried to make a billet aluminum block machined out of one big chunk of aluminum? I think it can be done. Bore size could be stretched to the limits. If any motor builder would like to try something like this, i would love to machine a couple of these bad boys. I have a BOBCAD program where you can set a part on a surface table and rotates making every possible dimension including a spec of dirt. Nasa has sure been good to us at work. Wouldnt mind comming in on my days off and trying a few things. Let me know what you guys think. Below is a picture of a smiliar engine we used to run in our jr. dragster. Milled out of a solid chunk of aluminum. Could go as big as a 4.250 bore. Something for these quads we could go on the meaty side to get the desired clearances and bore size. Then we can go back in and start milling away to save weight.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Nice!Have you talked to Timbo?You guys would be on phone for hrs with ideas?We are running .002in clearance but that is with the aluminum coated liner/CP piston.Not sure how much bigger you would have to go with stainless.I have also never heard of anyone using stainless.Why?Are the heat expansion rates to high or not enough?

No no one has made a billet block.The inframe removable sidecover and a billet case are kind of like the Holy Grail!Ultimate goals for sure.Here is your chance to show us your talents.

hartracing3478

#3 Post by hartracing3478 »

Stainless 316 has a moderately high rockwell level which would be good for wear properties. Now using 316 Ti would be perfect because Better resistance to temperatures of around 600-900????C. But as far as cost effectivness stanless 316 would be ideal. Im affraid using cast iron or anthing else with high carbon content will be more apt to oxidize. 316 stainless diamond honed and nicom coated will last under the nastiest conditions. Its amazing to see what this coating does. I would like to start a r&d program using my own block. I mean possibilities are endless. Im talking getting into running 30% nitro 70% methanol and making a fourwheeler that would need some serious 00>> to ride.

Grade 316: Density is around 8000 kg/m , MEAN co-eff thermal expansion is around 17.5 (????m/m/????C) @ 538???? C or 1000???? F

hartracing3478

#4 Post by hartracing3478 »

I have access to cylindrical grinders to make hardend D1 tool steel wrist pins and grind them to perfection. CNC mill with mazatrol conversation to make billet rods. We can really fix all these problems with these engines and make them almost bullet proof

hartracing3478

#5 Post by hartracing3478 »

Im going to take my bare block to work tomorrow and get with some of our engineers and play around with our bob cad program and try to make a prototype out of phenolic or resin, polyurethane something we can take accurate measurements and assemble so we can see where we are with this billet block

hartracing3478

#6 Post by hartracing3478 »

Here is a picture of my project, this is the donor for my billet engine

rayspeed

#7 Post by rayspeed »

Cool another Wayne but on this side of the pond!
Welcome to the group, I will look forward to reading about whatever you tackle.
Thought I had some cool stuff to play with at work but now I am envious!
Wonder if that coating would work on bucket tops for a pair of prototype cams I have!

hartracing3478

#8 Post by hartracing3478 »

you can coat almost anything with Nicom including aluminum and titanium.You can coat it on in various thicknesses. I plan on having almost all of my internals coated at work. crank rod and all

Kuma

#9 Post by Kuma »

Have you given any thought into our flywheel problem?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Dang I cant believe I didnt mention it.Yes think Flywheel!