Anybody ever hear of Loony Tuners in norcal?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I am going to check out an 03 speed for my brother that is in Iraq right now. The speed has a fresh top end and some updates all done by loony tuners in northern California. I did a search and came up empty. Anybody know of them? Here is what I know. He said it has a 460 piston in it a ss impeller a metal scavenge gear a bolt kit and it has been ported. No Z400 bearing. It has paddles and he wants $2500 for it.

cannondalemaine

#2 Post by cannondalemaine »

The only thing i have heard of was looney tuned dual exhaust not sure if they are the same or not. Were they the ones that did the motor work? Havent really heard of them about engine work but i would be a little weary about it not having the z400 bearing unless you were going to put one in when you bought it.

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

I can tell you they ordered a side cover gasket and exhaust crush washers from me about 2 weeks ago.

Reeve

#4 Post by Reeve »

Yes they were the ones that did the motor work. It was recent but I think it was more than two weeks ago. I know the bearing should be changed and my brother will be able to have that done.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

They mentioned to me on the phone that they end up working on a couple cannondales every year. Now, I'm not sure of their quality of work though as I have never had any work done and this was the first time they ordered parts so i can't say a track history of, or give an idea of what they usually replace.

Reeve

#6 Post by Reeve »

Well it looks like a done deal. I am heading soth in the morning and if everything looks to be in order It will come home with me. He has all the recipts for the work so I will be able to tell what has and has not been done to the motor. I need to take my motor down and have some updates done. I will try to get my brother to do his at the same time. His should just need the crank bearing adressed mine will need most everything as far as internal updates. The 03 has an FMF was that stock on the 03 speed. Mine has the HMF.

Reeve

#7 Post by Reeve »

I just got back with the speed. Turns out it is an 02. It fires right up and runs smooth. First thing I saw was the lack of the motor mount update. Checked for cracks and it looks good. I was not expecting it to be so quiet! My 02 with the HMF is very loud and if I hold my hand behind the exhaust it pops really hard. This speed with the 460 piston and the FMF exhaust has none of the pop out of the exhaust. I know the muffler is a bit larger on the FMF but I didn't think it would make that big of a change. Is this normal? It sure sounds nothing like my speed. Well there is the clatter but other than that they don't sound anything alike. I am going to take it for a test ride in the morning to see what it's got on my SBM speed.

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

somebody here made the comment they should have used the letters LMF instead.

Are you refering to the stock speed can, if so take a look down the outlet and you will have your answer.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

If you can post some pics. You never know what we might see.

mortondale21

#10 Post by mortondale21 »

reeve that cannondale you bought should be fine. looney tuners has built a couple in the past and they turned out great. the bearing, valve cover, bolt kit, and like you said motor mount should be done and your bike will be set. it was a great purchase since he put 2400 into just to want a newer quad that dosent sound like a dale or a can-am. have fun