Warped Water Pump Cover???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Lightman02

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

I had a problem where I over heated, I noticed I had a coolant leak. I found the leak at the pump cover. However I replaced the seal on the cover put a small coating of sealant on it and I come to find it's still leaking right at the bottom middle. I tried a couple times with the old seal before I got the new one and it was leaking in the same place. Is it possible from the over heat my pump cover got warped or out of shape some how?? It was never dropped or anything, or should I just try again?? I was also thinking of trying to seal the part where it sriped with some silicone for now. Anyone have any ideas?

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

sure it isn't leaking from the weep hole in the head that is just below that cover area?

Lightman02

#3 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Mar 6 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure it isn't leaking from the weep hole in the head that is just below that cover area?

Just checked and sure enough your right again. So I guess I'll hopefully only need an impeller seal?

peterock

#4 Post by peterock »

Do yo have a magnesium or aluminum cover? If magnesium it could be corroded and coolant is leaking through. Otherwise coolant is leaking past the seal.

Lightman02

#5 Post by Lightman02 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Mar 7 2010, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do yo have a magnesium or aluminum cover? If magnesium it could be corroded and coolant is leaking through. Otherwise coolant is leaking past the seal.

It's the mag cover but I though it didn't look that bad yet I was going to wait a little on replacing it. I'm wondering if I should just try a new seal for now.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

Is the cover pitted really bad under the pump cover? You can always just try a seal. Do a search on here if you aren't sure how to replace the seal without removing the cam cover. Basically thread a screw into it and pull it out and push the new one in.