Oil to full

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
raremoto440

#1 Post by raremoto440 »

Last week I changed the oil in my moto, Iran it for 10 min and let it sit over night. The next day it looked low so I added, ran it for 10 min and it looked good. Sat for the rest of the week and today I went to start it and would not roll over. Pulled the plug rolled it and oil hit the roof. I must of over filled it? got all the oil out of the cylender and not it is in the muffler and it stinks. Has this ever happened to anyone before.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Checking oil with the dipstick can only be done shortly after a shutdown, since most motors will leak oil into the sump too rapidly for a delayed dipstick reading. So yes, you overfilled it....plus your motor has that common issue of allowing frame oil to seep into the dry sump while parked.
After a 3-point draining, just add back 1.5 quarts and ignore the dipstick checks. By the time you should be concerned about checking the oil level again, it's really time to change the oil again anyway. Also, some of us just trim off the end of the dipstick for better drop-flow....or use a tranny fill plug there. You can visually judge about 1/4" in the bottom of the right frame anyway, and that is faster than re-inserting a clean dipstick. You can also quickly see if your right frame oil has emptied out -- so a dipstick is certainly NOT a required part.
Standing the machine up vertically for a while will help to drain the excess oil from the exhaust. It will still smoke for a long time as you cook out the excess.

raremoto440

#3 Post by raremoto440 »

Thanks for the info, I went for a ride and it did stop smokeing after a bit, boy did it stink!!!! I run Klotz 4 stroke techniplate 10/40 and it runs great. I also like the smell.