Motor issues! Please help.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jameson12

#1 Post by jameson12 »

hi guys- looking for a little bit of direction.

Last year I was riding at the dunes with my 03 canibal and was running good. When I went to launch real hard from a dead stop it took off and then died a few seconds later.

What I think happened was I spun the timing gear on the crank since I have done that a few times on my stroker motor on my rhino until we welded. It will crank over but not start. After a few cranks it will back fire. So it really sounds like the timing is way off.

So since I know NOTHING about this motor can someone tell me what I should look for when I tear into this.

How do I even check the timing on this motor?

If it is the timing gear- what's next? pull the complete motor out and ??? should I just weld this crank and be good? or will not know until I pull it?

Thanks for the help. I run a forum myself helping the UTV guys www.sxs411.com but don't know much about this Cannondale motor what so ever. I'm guessing if I can rebuild a Rhino motor this shouldn't be too hard either?

Really what Im looking to do is just get it running to sell it or trade it- looking to get another dirtbike.
So if anyone can help me; it would mean alot.

Thanks!!

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

Sounds like a spun flywheel. Pull the black cover off on the right side with the 4 Phillips screws. Then take off the 17mm nut on the center of the flywheel, remove lock washer also. You'll see a key way that key way slot should line up with the "C" on the Cannondale written on the flywheel.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Sounds like a spun flywheel . Pull the flywheel nut and washer off and make sure the keyway lines up perfectly with the "C" in the word cannondale cast into the flywheel. A philips screwdriver and a 17 mm socket is all you need. Its on the right side of the engine under the black plastic cover.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey it sounds like a spun flywheel...... laugh.gif Wistech take your blocker off!

Welcome Jameson! Nice site you have.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 3 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey it sounds like a spun flywheel...... laugh.gif Wistech take your blocker off!

Steve, look at the time on the posts. One was typing while the other was just hitting the enter button!

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Oh yeah.Still foolish though laugh.gif

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

OMG I must be Patricks evil twin. blink.gif A thousand miles away and 2 dorks are thinking the same thing at the same time.

It was like 10:08 when I hit send and the computer locked up for a while . I guess I know why .

jameson12

#8 Post by jameson12 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 3 2010, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Its a work in progress getting a forum running right and standing out about the rest.

Thanks for the help. I will go pull that off tonight and check and get back with you guys.

jameson12

#9 Post by jameson12 »

ok so it doesnt line up. looks like I need a flywheel remover to further look into it? anyone know the size i need?

also there was some oil there when I took the cover off- is there suppost to be any? again I know nothing about this cannondale motor.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Call Caniboomer for puller its a oddball one.He has balanced flywheels also.As for oil.How much?Tablespoon I wouldnt worry.More change the crankseal and or look fr cracks behind stator.If cracked your crank needs to be balanced also.