Gas Cap

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Knight440

Gas Cap

#1 Post by Knight440 »

Hey guys have any of you had a problem with your gas cap leaking :mad: ,, my 03 is still brand new only filled the tank once,, then today i filled it for the second time and now the cap leaks and no matter what i tried to do it kept leaking,,,,what i wound up doing was pulling out the factory gasket and went to Home Depot grabed a rubber o-ring and used that it let's the cap screw all the way down the factory one didn't ,,,,,seems ok it's not leaking for now. rolleyes.gif It seemed to me and a freind that the cap is too big it cought the first two threads then it's on the gasket i could tighten it then put my fingure under it and pop it right off both the threads in the cap and tank looked fine:confused:

wyndzer

#2 Post by wyndzer »

I had the same problem with mine and my dealer sent me a new cap and no problem since.

Knight440

#3 Post by Knight440 »

wyndzer
Kool thank god it's not just me... I wasn't going to post this it seemed kinda funny:o

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

I had the problem too with the old style tank, Cannondale replaced the tank and the problems solved.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Same here. The second new cap fixed it. The second one came from a new mold that was made to correct the leaking problem. All tight now!

JeffQuadShop

#6 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Ya, I've seen a couple do that!

moto-rider-7

#7 Post by moto-rider-7 »

i have went through 3 caps and one tank . all i did was run some black tape around the threads and im good to go .

i don't think the threads on the cap aren't deep enuff.
for it to get a good bite , im just gona get me a billet cap .
cuz **** i cant spend no money on the thing to make it faster. so im happy that i can on the looks

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

If you still have problems, go and buy a factory honda CR250 gas cap, that fixes problem for good, works on old tanks also.

AlaskaSpeed

#9 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Good info! I have had my tank and cap replaced by Cannondale and it will still leak if you don't know exactly "how" to put it on. It won't leak for me, but say a buddy filled it with gas; it would be all over his lap.
I agree with moto-rider 7's assessment that the threads aren't deep enough, going with the CR250 cap sounds like the best solution as I have seen that recommended elsewhere too. Any certain year of CR250 cap? JIM

Cannibal440

#10 Post by Cannibal440 »

Mine leaks too!