New duals are done

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

After the success of the gsxr1000 titanium single exhaust I wanted to upgrade my moto's dual exhaust. I was doing a bit more research and found the stock duals for the '07 gsxr1000 dyno tested pretty much the same as the loud open slip ons in torque and hp. They are rated even quieter than the older single exhaust. They are made with an aluminum can with titanium internals. The tube sizes going into the chambers are huge. I weighed them against a FMF titanium can with a quiet core and end cap. Amazingly they are just over 2 pounds each compared to the FMF's 1.3 pounds.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Installation was about as easy as I could have imagined. The midpipes that came with the mufflers have a clamp that fits perfectly on an fmf headpipe and my duals. I make all dual tubes in the same position as the stock exhaust. The Suzuki mufflers are just about the same size and stick out the same as the stock exhaust. I just cut both ends off the mid pipe and welded them together and presto a perfect slip on. Just a hole through the subframe for a mounting bolt and done.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Just like the single exhaust its a silent exhaust that cannot be heard over the engine noise and when under power all you get is the roar of the cyclone. The only thing I don't care for is the black paint they use on the cans. It doesn't seem to be anodizing as it scratches off pretty easy. I think a few minutes with some sand paper and you could be down to the brushed aluminum. I think they painted them as an afterthought so it would match the bikes color scheme better. Next dyno day I will be testing these along with the single exhaust to see how they do against the FMFs with quiet cores.
I guess I have to thank Suzuki for spending the millions on R@D to build me the mufflers I've been looking for. wink.gif

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

That looks awesome!!

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

Great work Wistech! Have you checked for axle clearance? It looks like they could come in to contact with the axle.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

When I welded the flanges on I tipped them up a bit so they are the same distance from the axle . Its also is a half inch away from the caliper . So its pretty much working in the same dimensions as the fmf exhaust ,weighs less than a toaster system ,has a high tech tone to it and hopefully can beat a open race exhaust like some of the other systems. My only real concern is they dont have a spark arrestor that is visable .Just a big tube going into the chamber . I think since they look like a stock exhaust that should be on there I might not have an issue with the cops because its not the arcaic aftermarket glass pack that throws the red flags up. I know it will pass a legal sound test but as we all know the roar of the pod filters are what you hear nowadays and Im sure they are way above 96db's but hey the law doesnt have a test for noise levels while riding. laugh.gif

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

The sound tests are usually done with exhaust in mind and is out the back. I don't have a pod filter but I wouldn't think it would be that noisy from about 2 feet behind the quad. I think a batter finish would make that set up look better for sure. The black just looks so OEM. I'm not quite sure what high tech exhaust sounds like. I think we need a sound byte.

cdale55

#8 Post by cdale55 »

Very Nice !!!

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFFjKEqHKkk

Here they are all buttoned back up . I took it for a quick test drive and It still is just a tire shredder .
The Moto has retired the ohlins and has been treated to the Fox float treatment. Has anyone had issues with the bottom of the shock hitting shock mount bracket. I had to grind some metal away to let the shock pivot all the way.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Those sound really quiet! I like it. Now if we could figure out a way to get the engine quieter.