Another rebuild

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Thought I'd dig this out of a corner of my garage, only my second rebuild. No idea what I'm going to put in it yet. Is it worth doing the case bearings while your this deep into the engine?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

It depends on what failed and how fast to cause the teardown in the first place and how much damage it did. Like everything take a look real close with some sort of magnification at both the barrels and the inside race they ride on.
I have seen sudden motor failures where the bearings are still good and some where they have so much trash go thru them that they are discolored and worn and obviously need changing. Most times a failed crank sends hard metal directly into the small bearing and it is the first to go.
Your toaster oven and your freezer are your friend when putting the new ones in. As far as getting the old ones out pick the cages apart and pull the barrels out and then make a thick washer with two flat sides that you can get inside the race and either press or make a slide hammer to tap them out. If using a press back up the other side so you dont damage the case.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

I pulled this one apart before the crank let go, so damage should be minimal. Crank was on it's way out, and I started taking this apart when I found another motor. All the bits got heaved into a box until today.

A few of the case bolts had backed out on this motor if my memory serves me correctly, you can see the hole on the top left of the tranny plate has a chunk out of it.

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

There was something else I noticed. The first engine I did a rebuild on had a weild cross the bottom of the case, something missing from this one even though the last engine didn't appear to have any signs of internal damage to it.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

The weld you are talking about aross the bottom of the case is normal on the later model engine cases.

marshall100

#6 Post by marshall100 »

Ah, didn't know that, thought it looked really strange. Both the remaining engines I have don't have it.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ May 23 2011, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, didn't know that, thought it looked really strange. Both the remaining engines I have don't have it.

They are cable clutch cases or they are factory converted hydro cases (unicorns).

marshall100

#8 Post by marshall100 »

Both were hydro, which is odd really. Odd in as much as they must have been converted to hydro's before being shipped to the UK....

I checked the crank case bearings and the main one in the case is a bit gravely or notchy if you get me. The one on the crank plate is fine, but seing as the plate is trash I might as well do the whole lot.

I've got a press in the garage so it'd be rude not to get the most out of it.