Engine chewed up my transmission oil filter

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
atvrulz

Engine chewed up my transmission oil filter

#1 Post by atvrulz »

I went to remove my transmission oil filter (the cigarette looking filter) and looked in the hole and there was only a small clump of metal. What happened to my transmission oil filter? I tipped quad on its side and started shaking the quad and metal shavings started coming out with left over transmission oil. anyone ever heard of this? My transmission oil filter was not in the greatest condition when inserting it (slightly bent).
After looking at the size of clump of metal and metal that fell out, I am pretty sure there is more of the chewed up filter inside. How do i get the remaining pieces of the filter out? Put in some oil and let in drain out, and maybe it will carry out the remaining pieces?
thanks

cannondale27

Filter fix

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

This is more common than you think.Filter design has been a problem right from start.I am afraid the onlysure way of getting everything out is to pull the motor an remove the tranny and clean everything.There is a spray bar that has very small holes that will plug up and a oil pump that could be damaged.
I have come up with a solution I think how about this:

atvrulz

#3 Post by atvrulz »

Anything that will keep the filter attached to the drain plug would be good. When i screwed in my trans oil drain plug, i was sure the filter was attached securely into the hole of the drain bolt. I could easily screw in by hand. Somehow the filter became unattached from the drain bolt and now the filter is a clump of metal.

jake1981

#4 Post by jake1981 »

I didn't even know this could happen. Hopefully the spring won't keep the filter away from the drain plug now. I know they are a pain in the butt to put in, until you get the hang of it.

jbomb

#5 Post by jbomb »

I had the same thing happen to me a month ago. I just took the bottom frame rail off so you can get a straight shot at looking in the drain hole and you can see all the pieces. Then I ran 2 gallons of diesel fuel thru it to drain it out. Then new oil and filter, ran it for 1/2 hour and changed the oil. I have not had any problems since.

atvrulz

#6 Post by atvrulz »

hey jbomb,
so your trans filter was a clump of metal? Did any of the filter metal find its way into other areas of the engine. Did the flush with Diesel fuel carry out any metal residue? Any damage to interior of engine?
thanks

jbomb

#7 Post by jbomb »

I did not pull the engine but I ran it for 3 straight days in the dunes and it ran great. The diesel got alot of little shavings out and it is alot cheaper than buying oil. I had about 5 or 6 pieces of filter left when I got it all out. I could not get them all out until I took off the bottom frame rail.