Dead Starter

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Z4J

#1 Post by Z4J »

I took the Dale for northern MI trip Saturday (all day ride). About half way though during a stop, I hit the starter button and got only a click, click, click from the solenoid. Bump started it...got back to camp, cleaned all the leads and click, click, click. Went back and hit the starter button a few minutes later and it rolled right over and never had the "click" problem for the rest of the day (still doesn't). Any idea?

Ps.
The solenoid is a new Boomer aftermarket
Starter is original
Battery was 100% charged

Another note...possible the 440 has more than the KTM 450 or 525. I seemed to be able to catch those quads pretty quick on the hills and straights

Thanks.

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

I have had terrible luck with the inexpensive asian batteries breaking up internally in as soon as a couple hour ride. The only batteries that have lasted for me are the deka or the yausa as they can take the high frequency vibration right there near the motor. Best way to tell is to put a volt meter on it while you are trying to crank it and if it goes below ten volts it is toast.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Mine did that on a trip to bullgap. maybe its just upper MI. lol.

it was the solinoid. I just used the metal clip on my teather to cross out the two post on the solinoid after pushing the button to turn on the ecu. I wouldn't nessarly say your is bad but maybe it was just hanging up a little