448 stroker long term inspection

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

This is DUDES engine. The extra loud niose in the engine was caused by a cam chain side main bearing starting to fail. The rollers are still good but the inside race was pitting and gave the crank about .020" slop which will cause the noise. I have seen this once before on a flywheel side bearing. That bearing on this engine was still good. The cyllinder had a lot of miles on it as it was polished smooth. The piston had some scrathes on it from the crank bearing specs getting up there but nothing major.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

The starter clutch had a few rollers that were worn out causing the spring to twist and jam up which is why it wouldnt start.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

The engine had a huge magnet in the sump and head which explains why nothing made it into the scavange pumps and filter. The cams are still in very good shape .

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

The scavange pump seal was popped out of the cover so that explains why why oil was transfering. I am not going to speculate why .

Dude54758

#5 Post by Dude54758 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 6 2011, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The scavange pump seal was popped out of the cover so that explains why why oil was transfering. I am not going to speculate why .

Glad my instinct was somewhat right on it being loud. Especially after hearing yours.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

I have to give it up to you John for building a motor that has lasted this long. I haven't had it apart since you rebuilt it.

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

how mouch play in the rod? I'm sure you're pulling it apart too, so how do pin and rod look?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow that race is really trashed! But all in all not a big deal to get that one going. Cool.

Dude54758

#9 Post by Dude54758 »

Hoping John has it back together so I can install this weekend.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

The engine didn't need a whole lot to be patched up. The starter clutch gear gripping surface has seen better days. I don't think it can be reconditioned, so I so installed a new one.
The crank isn't shot. You can't tell anything from wiggling it anyway.