What Piston is This?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

JA little background: bought a quad recently that was practically free because it didn't run. The owner inherited it and said it had never been ridden since a stock engine rebuild from a guy on the east coast a few years ago. Has maybe 5hrs total on it in general. Owner put in fluids but no fire. I got it home and hooked up a battery and fired up and ran perfect.

So I opened it up today. Turns out to have the metal oil pump gears, aluminum impeller and cover, stage 8 kit, and a pinned flywheel, to go with a titanium header and Bills pipe. But the pics here are what I'm not sure of. The sleeve is cast iron and the heaviest I've ever felt in a quad. It has Los Angeles Sleeve marked on it and is 95mm. The piston has no manufacturers mark on it either, nor any coatings.

Any idea what kit this is or where from. I was guessing maybe a South Bay Motor deal but wondering if anyone can shed some light. It was shipped somewhere on the east coast a few years back by a man who's last name was holder in Corona, CA. Anyone maybe remember this engine? Said he was a forum member online but didn't know the name he used. However, I was shocked by some of the work as some bolts were barely more than fingertight, not loctited, cam bolts overtightened, and just gobs of gasket sealant. Enough that it was layered around the outside of the sleeve and clumps everywhere.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

95mm that would be a WWE Southbay . Its worth about 60 cents for scrap. Those pistons with thin wrist pins wiped out a lot of engines. No center structural support where it needs to be .

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Well, guess it all can't be good news, haha. Only paid $350 for the entire quad with USA graphics, full exhaust, nerfs, and clean title. I guess that'll go on the shelf as a conversation piece.

Gonna send the crank to Tim but gonna drop a 467 combo in it that's on the shelf. Gonna be a beast here in a few days. Out of curiosity, were the WWE cylinders worthy of boring and reusing? Looks brand new and very heavy duty with alot of meat on it.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Ive used LA sleeves with no issues but I have a special case setup so they can be precision bored right in the engine for each piston . If its stock bore it must be pretty heavy . I didnt think anyone would waste the money for a stock sized steel sleeve when you can get the better nicasil factory ones.