sticky bucket

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale32

#11 Post by cannondale32 »

Yep that's the one thats bad on mine opposite the decomp. I'm gonna have to buy an intake cam, the buckets, and aluminum impellar

Kuma

#12 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (cannondale32 @ Jan 12 2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep that's the one thats bad on mine opposite the decomp. I'm gonna have to buy an intake cam, the buckets, and aluminum impellar

Is your sticky bucket on the intake or exhaust? the Ex has the issue but I thought you said intake?

rayspeed

#13 Post by rayspeed »

Dont let machining that high spot off scare you... it is not that expensive... Tim only charges like $25 or something ridiculous like that because he does it quickly with a cnc. You should change the valves while you are in there which is like 60-75 and of course the seats should be checked and cut if necessary.
DLC buckets are not cheap but with new stock buckets and a good cam you can get by with regular oil changes.
A standard head job is a quick turn around and really not all that much all things considered... Finding a good exhaust cam is trickey. I grabbed up a pair off of ebay buy it now for $70 and they were worthless as the decomp had no moving parts and the was flatter than I have ever seen one and the intake had sharp edges so not worth using. All from a motor they said came in running! Same seller that has that crank for $95, he says he will give my money back on the cams so back they go today.

cannondale32

#14 Post by cannondale32 »

My intake is worn really bad I thought that was from the stick bucket there's a huge groove in it

2000ex

#15 Post by 2000ex »

Pics would help, but I would imagine it is from one of the two reasons I listed above

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I highly recommend using the DLC buckets they are the only solution to subpar cams.It is a crapshoot with stockers and even with daily oil changes some cams wear.I dont want to scare you but NOBODY can guarantee any stock cam unless they are checked for hardness.All attempts to fix stock cams as far as hardness have failed.ONLY chance you have is DLC buckets or wing it and hope you got a good set of cams.

cannondale32

#17 Post by cannondale32 »

What about a new cam ?

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

I would sooner buy a good used cam since you at least know it worked for awhile.

who_gives_a6

#19 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Are cams drying up? Any source for new ones or must a big investment be made to get that started? I need two intakes and an exhaust as well for a couple builds I'm doing soon.

Also, what are those DLC buckets running pricewise?

rayspeed

#20 Post by rayspeed »

Were the rewelded cams ever tried with the dlc buckets? I am beginning to get a bit of a collection of worn out cams if anybody wants to try another batch!