Pics of my motor

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Looks like pin in decomp barrel

cannondale32

#12 Post by cannondale32 »

It was laying down by the clutch on the bench I have it on, It just showed up

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Then it one of the pins behind the pump gears.

2000ex

#14 Post by 2000ex »

Yup, that is an oil pump drive pin. Also you have the late style cams which are the ones with the major hardness issues, hence why your intake cam and buckets are wasted

cannondale32

#15 Post by cannondale32 »

Ok so I need to buy a new cam and buckets on the intake side

rayspeed

#16 Post by rayspeed »

Because of the sticky bucket on the exhaust side intake cams are in better supply than exhaust cams and I may have a very good one that would do well on stock buckets that I can part with for a hundred bucks shipped or a slightly iffy one that I would run on dlc's for $50. You will have to see tim on the dlc buckets.

I think your problem was more related to it running without oil for some period. This is pure speculation but I suspect that it happened like this... The decomp came apart evident from the rivet piece on the top end which sent other metal bits in to jamb the scavenger pump evident with the loose and bent c-clip and the pin that drives one of the other pumps. It would run like that just long enough before anyone could tell that something was wrong to where the top end was starved for oil and starts eating on the cams. Somebody goes into it and finds a worn out exhaust cam and bad decomp and patches it up with a good exhaust cam and new buckts, the intake cam does not look quite so bad at the time but has worn just thru the hard surface. He unjambs the pump and puts new gears on... cant find the clip or one of the drive pins which bugs him a bit... maybe loctites some bolts yada yadda. It runs like a champ for some amount of time but starts loosing a little power or making different noises from the worn out cam and thats when the previous owner knowing that he patched it last time and was on borrowed time decides to unload it and here is where you come in.
Its all about denial or a bad memory after that.

cannondale32

#17 Post by cannondale32 »

I think you hit the nail on the head haha

cannondale32

#18 Post by cannondale32 »

So, do you guys think that I can just replace the buckets and cam and adjust the valves and get away with riding it for awhile ?

rayspeed

#19 Post by rayspeed »

I have seen dozens of kids just like you come and go on here so dont feel like the lone ranger! Just know that you paid a reasonable price for what you got, some of those guys had spent two, three or four times or more than you have just to get where you are at and had even bigger problems. They all came on here with a real passion for their new found joy but it was mistaken for or replaced by what was more of just a desire to ride and there are plenty of other machines out there. At some point they they think that they would be happier on a thousand dollar 400ex but there will come a point where they yearn for the speed again. You have to earn your ride on these things as you are learning.

I tried to stay out of your threads as best I could because an overwhelming number of them gave up and parted out but you seem a little more ambition to ride your cannondale so I am going to deviate from my normal advise and try to help steer you away from that parting monster!

I say get a good used cam and new buckets, clean it out as best you can... set up the valve lash and ride the thing.... somewhat gingerly tho I might add at least for a while. Most of us older guys that have been there and done that may have an over the top fear of having to do things over. I am not being sarcastic in this but really telling you to go for it. In the time you get to ride it you will learn more about it and spend more time on here learning and hopefully it lasts long enough to where you get financially in the place to be able to afford to do it right. The best thing to do is to start gathering the stuff that you know you will eventually need. The longer it keeps running the more bargains you will find and time will be on your side. If you can afford it and they are sometimes fairly cheap grab up a mostly complete motor on ebay or here and go thru it right.

cannondale32

#20 Post by cannondale32 »

Well Thanks for the help it's really appreciated, I'm wanting to get it goin so I can get a little bit of seat time and have some fun with it, but I need to save some money for a truck but after that then I can pull it out and do it right.