Different exhaust

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale719

#1 Post by cannondale719 »

Anyone know of you can mate a different muffler (can am ds 450) just the muffler not header to a dale and not have problems with mapping or running issues?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Depends on what exhaust you are replacing as the stock silencers ranged to pretty plugged up and quiet (fmf round can) to the square toaster (somewhat better) with screen in place to pretty wide open with the screens removed to the best flowing one of all stock ones the moto ti system.
I would be surprised if another can will just bolt up but if it works let us know...
If what you got now flows pretty good you might be ok but coming from a restrictive can might make you lean. If it pops on decel that is a pretty good clue that it is on the lean side. If the idle speed increases noticeably then that is also a clue but the only way to really tell is on a dyno but a four stroke is pretty forgiving as to what it will live with.

cannondale719

#3 Post by cannondale719 »

Well right now I got a hmf shorty full exhaust I was going to custom mate a dr.d to it or a Moto works muffler..cause right now my bike pops on decel I have a d an m kit of I custom mate it what all would I have to do since it's forgiving?

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Feb 24 2012, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on what exhaust you are replacing as the stock silencers ranged to pretty plugged up and quiet (fmf round can) to the square toaster (somewhat better) with screen in place to pretty wide open with the screens removed to the best flowing one of all stock ones the moto ti system.
I would be surprised if another can will just bolt up but if it works let us know...
If what you got now flows pretty good you might be ok but coming from a restrictive can might make you lean. If it pops on decel that is a pretty good clue that it is on the lean side. If the idle speed increases noticeably then that is also a clue but the only way to really tell is on a dyno but a four stroke is pretty forgiving as to what it will live with.

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

The popping can come from a leak at the header also... but barring that I would turn up the offset in increments of .1 until the popping stopped and you will have to likely turn the idle down too as this would make it richer at idle. And depending on where your flow rate is now maybe a lower number for more fuel up top. Just an idea here but one of those cheap infared temp guns like the ones harbor freight sells you can get a pretty good idea if it is getting enough fuel up top by checking the exhaust temp but not sure what that should be tho...