Head stud cracked

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
blaze#52

#1 Post by blaze#52 »

Thoughts on this? The block is craked where the stud goes into the block will it completly fail in time?

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

I would say chances are pretty high that will fail the next time you torque the head down... if it keeps on tightening a turn or two more than the others that is a sign that the threads are coming out with it and it will stop when that shoulder contacts the head. If that is the case you will not likely get a whole ride out of it before it stops in a cloud of white smoke when the liner top o ring gives out.
That stud probably got put in with a ton of locktite that hydrolocked in the bottom of that cavity or ran in too tight. I recently learned in torque and thread sealing certification that more locktite is not a good thing. People that tell you to go crazy with it are uninformed, clean the bolts perfectly and use the primer or acetone and one drop of thread sealer only! And one click when you get to torque is all that is needed... I was guilty of multiple clicking which runs past the torque spec.
If you know a real good welder that owes you major favors that could probably be fixed but it would have to be ground out quite a bit and if it is cracked in the threads too which is likely then it gets more complicated with remachining and heli-coils and such.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Ive seen this a couple times. I welded one and just removed and reinstalled the stud with the permanent locktite. Neither had any issues. I think Tim has had many more. Id call him and see how his held up. It seems once the crack got down below the stress point it just stops. If your going to go through all the trouble and expense of welding it I recommend getting a new case. You pretty much have to remove the most of the metal around the crack and fill it all in a redrill a new stud hole. Then remachine the deck. Just trying to weld the crack will just open it as it gets welded leaving you with a loose threaded hole.
Thats the first one Ive seen on the oil side of the block. The ones on the right side were easy to keep an eye on but this one ......

blaze#52

#4 Post by blaze#52 »

Thanks for your input guys, that is what I was looking for.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 13 2012, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats the first one Ive seen on the oil side of the block. The ones on the right side were easy to keep an eye on but this one ......

I've got three cases here with a crack in the same spot......

riverat1540

#6 Post by riverat1540 »

Digging up an old thread here, my case was cracked the same way only on the front right side so it was visible, after a water crossing it cracked further causing me to get blowby at the headgasket. Is this worth fixing and? I am in the process of swapping cases and would like to keep a spare if it is worth fixing