Relay?????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MX Quad Dad

#1 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was messing around with one of my dales. It would start and while idleing it sounded like it was trying to quit and wouldn't take any throttle. I had never had the relay problem before. while it was idleing, I was looking it over and for some reason looked into the tank and you could tell the fuel flow was stopping and starting. I went and got my multimeter and the voltage was going on and off, Then it hit me, I removed the plastic and popped the relay off and it smoothed right out. so a simple peek into the tank will give a clue to a bad relay.

So now i'm on a mission. I remember someone trying a solid state relay and they had a slight draw when it was turned off. That was a while ago, so I was wondering if anybody has found anything new. Just thought about searching "solid state" and found the post. it was 27 that tryed one and there was talk of a waterproof one. any info on it??

Trouble

#2 Post by Trouble »

Ever get this figured out?mine is doing something similar but im sure i could use a throttle cal..

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

If you are referring too, If i'm sure the relay was the problem. There is no doubt the relay was the problem. I just never read were some had found the relay problem other than just pulling it out and I know pulling the plastic is no big deal but I have some satisfaction in being a little more sure on the problem while attacking it and unscrewing the gas cap and seeing the return fuel flow going on/off might just be something that clicks when someone is have this problem.

Haven't had a lot of time to do the digging. But would like to maybe do some changes in one of my dales. I would really like to understand why a relay is used and how it can affect the way these thing run when simply pulling it out corrects the problem.

Ok. Now you got me going on this again. Does anybody have a blown up version of the wiring diagram that I can download? Something that doesn't make my eyes cross when tracing out a circuit or is there a simple way I can scan it and do it with my computer?

One idea I was thinking about was the solid state relay but it was determined that there is a draw when the quad is turned off. I have not dug into this to see if a simple wiring change could fix this. it would require the key to be turned off instead of just hitting the kill switch and leaving the key on. the key switch should be able to carry the load a solid state relay would put on it, but a back feed may cause a problem. if you are not running lights you may be able to use the light circuit for this. another thought was, I have a case 580 which uses a relay about the size of the dale starter solenoid with about the same size wires as our batteries use It runs the entire electrical system (except the starter) and is designed for continual use. I could wire it in to completely disconnect the battery when the switch is off if I were to use it with the solid state relay or maybe just use it in place of the relay

Trouble

#4 Post by Trouble »

Wouldn't a disconnect or one of those manual circuit breakers like I used to use in my car audio days do same thing?cant have a draw without a completed circuit