One Way Bearing

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
flyinarmbar

#1 Post by flyinarmbar »

Hey guys, I got my motor completely done up from Tim about a year ago. Since then I have broken the motor in and put about 4 hours tops of riding. After the last ride, went to start it and got the click, click from the starter and relay. felt like the starter was binding or sticking. After charging the battery I tried to crank it and got something like the sound of an air tool. I came to this site and read about the one way. I popped off the starter and rotated the gear, it only would rotate one way, I believe clockwise about six turns then it stopped both ways. While starter was out I grounded it to the bike and it turned like it should and the teeth were not chipped. I put the starter back on and still got the clicking only. I also rolled it backwards like i have read on here in 5th gear and it rolled about 3ft and locked. Tried to put screwdriver between the terminals on soleniod to jump it out and it just sparked violently and clicked. The click sounds like a relay sticking. I then tried to have my daughter pull me from her quad to "pop" it with the clutch. However in 5th gear when I popped it the wheels would lock up and nothing. My last couple of rides i rode the balls of of it. And during the rides the starter gave me no signs of failing. Always started right up. It sat for about 3 weeks after my last ride when this started to happen. Can it be something as simple as my starter or did i "break" something. What is my next move? Any help out there boys?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Something is locked up.Start by taking the plug out and trying to turn motor over with starter.Could just be hydrolocked.

flyinarmbar

#3 Post by flyinarmbar »

Will do bro, can it be something as simple as that? Jeez, I hope so!!! What causes the motor to be hydrolocked? Guess i will try in the morning. Thanks dude

flyinarmbar

#4 Post by flyinarmbar »

If it is hydrolocked, when I pull the plug and try to start it will oil shoot out or will I hear air puff like when you find t.d.c. with your finger over the cyclinder. What can i expect.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

If its hydrolocked yes oil will shoot out so a rag over hole is good idea.

flyinarmbar

#6 Post by flyinarmbar »

let you know tomorrow. fingers crossed.

flyinarmbar

#7 Post by flyinarmbar »

C'dale27, I would kiss you if you werent so **** far away!!! ( on the cheek). Pulled the plug, fitted the end of towel into plug hole and covered the cylinder with a towel, at first crank, the pressure blew the towel clear off the head to shoot a cannon of oil to my garage ceiling and mushroom off onto me and kids quads!!!! Good thing I put the Buell on the street to give me room. What now, i cranked it a couple of time and let the oil mist out and put the plug on the stove to burn the oil off of it. Do i keep the plug out to let dry out, or crank a few more times, insert plug and start up and burn off oil? What caused this. Only thing I can think of is when i load it into my pickup, the quad is standing up the i grab under the grab bar and press it up onto bed. When I off load it, I grab the grab bar and pullit off onto ground landing on all four wheels violently. Is there any damage I should worry about or ways to prevent this. Gotta love this site, man U guys are on top of our game. Thanks a bundle!!!!

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

Nothing to worry about. There is a check ball that keeps the oil from entering, however sometimes it does not seat and that happens.

Simple solutions are always the best! c27 is always right on the money

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont want to bum you out but there could be damage from when you tried to turn it over by pullstarting it. Probably not though. Now you need to drain the engine oil and refill with 1.5 qts, start it up and check for oil flow by looking into fill hole. Like said the checkball can leak and cause this especially if you overfilled engine oil.

speedracer

#10 Post by speedracer »

You mean 1.5 qts, right 27.