What do you think?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
stsmark

#1 Post by stsmark »

My 2003 E440R that had low compression has been figured out. Jumped with 24 volts at starter and it lit right off. Coolant seeping into cyl. I think my son got it hot he was the last to ride. Inspected with high end borescope and saw no cracks in sleeve but definitely signs of Evans coolant seeping in. Is the head warped and what all is generally needed to fix? Trying to decide whether to fix or sell as is. My riding days are done due to MS. Have bad *** All Terrain wheelchair though.

It only has about 10 hrs on it, still has the original Michelin on back. Its in Northern CA and I'll post it in classified in a day or two. Undecided whether to sell cause its so **** cool just to look at and have hanging around. blink.gif

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

You may have just blown a seal. Ha! Dr Dimento ftw.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Take your bore scope and look directly above the exhaust ports at the very top of the liner where it meets the head. If you have a crack it will be there.

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Jul 9 2012, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have just blown a seal.

Said the penguin to the eskamo,
Eskamo said, no I just had an ice cream bar laugh.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist

r.porter

#5 Post by r.porter »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jul 10 2012, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take your bore scope and look directly above the exhaust ports at the very top of the liner where it meets the head. If you have a crack it will be there.

I agree with Kdeal , though it may be very hard to see!

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (r.porter @ Jul 11 2012, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Kdeal , though it may be very hard to see!

Yep, crank up any magnification you may have on that thing.

stsmark

#7 Post by stsmark »

Hey so if I keep the bike, what do you think a budget would be to send the motor and have it fixed and reliability mods done. If I get rid of it I'm thinking of asking like 500.00 maybe less, what is fair price.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Go ahead and figure 2k to get the motor fully updated. If everything is in good shape and the crank is the only part that needs to be replaced you may get off for 1200+. But worse case is better place to start. If the crank is good then really you are talking a piston kit and seals, so prob 500, but the chances of a stock crank being good are slim these days.

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

Is it plated?

stsmark

#10 Post by stsmark »

No red stickered, lost the argument at DMV about 03 emission cert, actually gave up as most Nor cal riding areas are year round anyway.