problems after Deep puddle at speed

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
riverat1540

#1 Post by riverat1540 »

Well I hit a 1ft deep puddle that didnt look that deep at about 30mph, motor died so I assume I sucked water into the intake. as it was also hydro locked for about 5 min I was by myself about 2 miles away from anyone. I noticed clowdy white oil through the sight glass for engine oil. It was just a spash and was never submerged. trans oil is still like new. After letting it sit about 20min i tried to start it and it fired right up.I drove it home with milky oil and it ran with no misses or loss of power that i could tell but i was very easy on it and stayed at low rpms. The next morning i went to change the oil and noticed a coolant leak coming from the bottom of the front of the head on the intake side, i cant see where it came from. it is not much and my resovoir is still about full. I hope the head did not crack. but am looking for guesses as to what it could be before I pull the motor.

riverat1540

#2 Post by riverat1540 »

After looking further in better light the case is cracked right around the front head stud on the water pump side of the motor, looks like the case is junk. As I don't see how it can be repaired

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I wouldnt panic yet. There have been cases of the head stud boss cracking with no ill effects like coolant leaks. Is it leaking coolant from the crack or maybe the water pump weep hole which is right there? Id change the oil a couple times to flush the water out and run it to see if it is leaking coolant . If coolant is leaking from the head boss then it must have been quite a thermal shock .

riverat1540

#4 Post by riverat1540 »

John,
The crack is noticeably larger than it was during assembly, coolant seems to be coming from between the block and the head as well as dripping from the crack. I cannot tell if it is coming from the crack as well or just the coolant from between the case and head. As far as also leaking coolant into the engine oil I am unsure. Even so I dont think I want to chance using this block. It may be a good candidate if you are still seeking blocks to repair for your mad experiments.

riverat1540

#5 Post by riverat1540 »

Here is a picture of the damage, does this look worth trying to repair?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Get another case and save that one for the day when good cases are no longer available.

riverat1540

#7 Post by riverat1540 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 23 2014, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get another case and save that one for the day when good cases are no longer available.

I've already got one and have stripped the old one of everything except the bearings and seals, will do thanks