Engine will not run (at low speeds or idle)

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
marceb16

#1 Post by marceb16 »

Engine was running fine one minute ... Shut it off for about 15 mins. Then when the starter was cranking the engine it backfired out through the tailpipe and then up through air box (a puff of white rose up form under the font fenders). We ended up having to bump it to get it running again. But, it would only run if held at about something more than 1/4 throtle. Even then it ran rough ... chitty chitty bang band all the way back to the truck.

I charged the 2 month old battery back to full last night. Pulled the spark plug this morning and then rotated the motor over to "blow" out any excess fuel (which there was). Installed a new spark plug (even though the old one still looked pretty good) to only get a few engine pops then a bakfire up through the airbox again (cough sound and a visable bounce).

Thoughts on what maybe wrong ... Timing issue? Flywheel slip? Throdle cal?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Any backfire through the intake will often pop the throttle body boot off the intake resulting in your problem. Check that first then a flywheel check. Do you still have the airbox system on ?

marceb16

#3 Post by marceb16 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 15 2012, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any backfire through the intake will often pop the throttle body boot off the intake resulting in your problem. Check that first then a flywheel check. Do you still have the airbox system on ?

The boot is indeed loose / off. After reinstall and/or tyring to start the engine again ... is there something I should do / adjust to prevent another intake backfire? Never had this happen before ... what causes this?

Also, how do I check the flywheel? What am I looking for?