More Power!?!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ry415

#1 Post by ry415 »

Most of these topics are about updates and fixes, now that I have a good running Moto (knock on wood) I've been running it at the track and in stock form I'm pretty much as fast as most of the 450s granted there are alot of riders that are better then me.

I know theres more potential for speed on these things and the only performance mods I've done are Boomers Intake and Gas Tank. I'm running 20s in the back with a 14T front gear and 40T in the rear...I'm thinking about going up to 42 in the rear to get some more low end grunt hopefully in 3rd gear out of the turns to clear some doubles. What other power upgrades are out there? Here is some video from the local track here in Englishtown, NJ I'm not in any of them because I'm the sucker behind the camera but you check out Josh Creamer on the DS450....the dude is FASSST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfg8_gI6yqM...feature=g-all-u

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

To be brief here is a breakdown of power adders.
You start out at 35 to 39 horse stock.

Pod filter on a stock engine will give 3 to 5 horse to get you into the low 40's.
True performance head porting can get that stocker from 47 to 55 plus horse depend on engine setting varables.
Each bore size is good for about 1 to 2 horse depending on compresion ratio.
Stroking the crank works the same a bores size increase.
Dual exhaust can get as much as 2 or more horse over the single open race pipe.

The first question you need to ask is what exactly are the requirements( mx, trail ,dune,drag, power to compete or dominate)
Second how much can I afford?

There are a lot of variables to consider that determine horsepower. Cam timing, compresion ratio ,fuel ,exhaust( legal or loud )

If money is no object then go right to a 505 15 to 1 dual exhausted race engine and beat everybody .
If your on budget then just port the head with a bored throttle body and cyclone intake and you can bang heads with most modded quads.
If your crank is smoked then rebuilding it to a stroker is cost effective.
If you already have a performance ported head ( not a cleanup job) and a stock crank then a 460 kit is a no brainer to get into the low to mid 50's.
My personal favorite race engine that have won championships is the 467 stroker. They have the power to compete and win in the open pro class.
For duning and trail riding the 460 gets it done with a smile on your face.
Not to discount a 432 which can match the 450cc jap quads but if you want to beat them you need higher compresion and more cc's which a simple piston change does wonders.
Then of course there is pure evil which is nitrous ..........15 to 20 horse boost.
A search of the dyno section will answer most of the horsepower per combination questions.

ry415

#3 Post by ry415 »

Thats some great info, I have to consider what class I'm going to enter. The two I'm leaning towards are the Production class where the quad stays stock I'm thinking a Moto can have some advantage here or the 4 Stroke A where 450 is the limit. Thanks for all the great info!

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Why aren't you running 18's in the back?

ry415

#5 Post by ry415 »

I had the 18s in the back and sold them because i was mainly trail riding. Now my local trail spot closed down so MX is all I have and honestly I enjoy the Moto much more on the track. I may go back to 18s for next year but this year will be 20s for the last few races.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree 18's and run 14-39,40 even with your stock motor.Once you do the mods Wistech suggested you can go with 14-38 or even higher if you stroke it.Makes it alot easier to get power to the ground and will be a huge help in holeshots which are big part of MX racing.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

For MX I recomend motard 5th gear or 450 stroker motor. not many places you use 5th but my son complained about it. he said, in sandy straights he could keep up or even gain on the built jap quads until he hit 5th. I should add that I'm not sure what cam timming I had, because it sounds like the factory didn't get them exact. but the 2.2mm timbo stroker seemed to do the trick.

I am not a believer that more HP in MX is the answer. I have seen guys come to the track with more and get worse results. you do need a fair amount but rider ability and suspension are just as important or maybe even more important

I would also reomend finishing out this season with a set-up as close as you can to what you plan on running next season. just may give you a better start for next season

ry415

#8 Post by ry415 »

good point on practicing with the setup I'm going to use. What about a higher octane fuel or additive? I'm running the stock Asso piston stock compression.

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

We ran VP race fuel. Mostly because we had gotten some bad premium from the pumps once. I don't believe there was much if any power gain, unless you compare it to the half diesel fuel half premium we had gotten that one time.