Sleeve Removal

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#11 Post by who_gives_a6 »

The expansion plug didn't work. Would eventually pop out before lifting sleeve. Also tried heating it up. Starting to get frustrated and wondering what this orange junk on it is. Previous owner claims it was never touched since delivered from ATK dealer.

claas900

#12 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Jan 5 2013, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The expansion plug didn't work. Would eventually pop out before lifting sleeve. Also tried heating it up. Starting to get frustrated and wondering what this orange junk on it is. Previous owner claims it was never touched since delivered from ATK dealer.

Man thats nuts, Ive had the expansion plug pull the sleeve back into the case. Sounds like some numb nut silicone'd the sleeve in there? I see your in Ca, where are you out of? Other then gasket remover I realy dont have anymore ideas.

who_gives_a6

#13 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I'm in the Temecula area. Have some gasket removal stuff I bought at PEP Boys on it now. Will eventually get it out somehow. Will just keep trying.

MX Quad Dad

#14 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Jan 2 2013, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is gobs or orange colored junk in the o-ring area that is rock hard.\

I have never seen silicone get rock hard. and can't think of any hardening gaskit sealer that is orange. if some fool put loctite on there you may try the brand of carb cleaner that stops the red loctite from bonding. Im sure a couple guys here know which one that was. maybe try acetone

Some thoughts.

place the expansion plug with the top flange above the cylinder so you can get a bite on it with a big pair of channellocks and try turning it. you may have to disassemble the plug and scuff the plastic were it contacts the rubber

place engine in front of heater or in an oven on low temp. then with the piston at BDC poor some ice water in the cylinder put the expanshion plug in and try it. try rotating it also

who_gives_a6

#15 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Quad dad. Thanks for the help but got it out late last night. Heated it up after it sat overnight with gasket remover on it. Did exactly what you said with the expansion plug too. It was very stubborn and I had to have a friend hold the engine to get it but it popped off.

The o-ring was so hard it cracked apart and that orange gunk is ridiculously hard to get off but all is good and the cylinder will be ready to reuse with a hone and new o-ring.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Crank will be off to Tim shortly.

r.porter

#16 Post by r.porter »

The only orange colored sealer I know of is 3M 8001 , I always called it gorilla snot. It's a gasket sealer and should not have ever been use on the cylinder.