Sleeve Removal

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Picked up an engine lately and rebuilding it. Ended up having a unicorn case, 97mm piston, lightly ported head, etc. And appears to have barely been ridden due to virtually no carbon buildup/scarring.

I normally put tape on the sleeve and turn the crank to remove the sleeve but this one WILL NOT budge. I even would have to have the wife hold it down just to turn it because of the resistance. But eventually the tape comes up. Spent over an hour trying.

Any other tips to get it out? Not sure if you can do it by removing the crank cover or not. Never had an issue on the other builds. Usually pops right up.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Wierd. Maybe someone used something other than silicone on x-ring? I would try some WD shot into the space between sleeve and case.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I sprayed WD40 in and around it and am letting it soak overnight. When removing the pieces covering the access holes there is gobs or orange colored junk in the o-ring area that is rock hard. Not sure what it is but hopefully can get it out without damage.

It's supposedly from an 06 ATK enduro bike and all stock, but guessing it may have been opened up since the head has some light porting done.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

Go to Homedepot and get a 4" expansion plug. Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENSLEY-EXPANSION-P...=item27ca6149c2 only get one thats plastic so you dont hurt the sleeve.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

X2 what 900 said.

Hard red compound by orings,, you think sombody would have put red loctite on the o ring. if so and the expansion plug don't work, you may have to find a way to heat it. does anything disolve red locktite once it hardens?

I like the plugs Lowe's sell in the pvc pipe department, they are plastic but have a steel carrage bolt thru the center which you can put a regular nut on them. you will want to make sure the head of the carrage bolt doesn't damage the piston.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Jan 2 2013, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
X2 what 900 said.

Hard red compound by orings,, you think sombody would have put red loctite on the o ring. if so and the expansion plug don't work, you may have to find a way to heat it. does anything disolve red locktite once it hardens?

I like the plugs Lowe's sell in the pvc pipe department, they are plastic but have a steel carrage bolt thru the center which you can put a regular nut on them. you will want to make sure the head of the carrage bolt doesn't damage the piston.

Yup the red ones are what I have. I just put a rag between it and the piston.

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Gonna try that this weekend. Soaking in WD40 didn't work so going to Lowes to pick one of those up. Hopefully it'll come out without any damage. Hate to waste a good 97mm cylinder.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I would try some Carb Cleaner sprayed in there.Might be strong enough to loosen up the Silicone.

who_gives_a6

#9 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 5 2013, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would try some Carb Cleaner sprayed in there.Might be strong enough to loosen up the Silicone.

Tried that too. Didn't work. About to head to Lowes now for the expansion piece.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

gasket remover AKA oven cleaner will dissolve silicone gasket maker. It wont evaporate like brake cleaner. Just hope someone didnt use yamabond on the sleeve . For tape the sleeve has to be very clean and free from grease or it will just slide up . Ive had good luck with good quality 3m masking tape . It just needs several layers . If that doesnt work then heat up the sleeve with a hair dryer or propane torch but not crazy hot.