fuel injector cleaning

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jasonboz56

#1 Post by Jasonboz56 »

Does anybody have any advice on the easiest path to get to the fuel injectors to see if they are stuck after the removal of the gas tank and top of air filter? i bought my 2002 speed 440 then had my apendix out the next day. by the time i finally healed enough to ride it, the battery was dead so after charging it, it would only idle then die when i gave it gas now after months of failing to find a cannobdale mechanic in vegas it wont start at all and im trying to fix it myself with no cannaondale experienceAny advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!...

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

It sounds like a stock machine. Can you get it down to Scottsdale?... or maybe I can get up there in 2 weeks.
There is likely much more to check than the injectors. Misc external improvements can really wake up a stock Cannondale,
and then you can better monitor the motor itself.

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

Have you looked down the throttle body while cranking to see if the injectors are spraying?Have you replaced your in-line fuel filter?Check yor screen in the tank,maybe its cloged.Check for spark,the pencil coil have been known to rust.Last but not least,check you quick connects to the fuel tank to see if they have been gutted,do a search here to find out how.Is it back firing while cranking,that could mean a spun flywheel.Owning a Cannondale means doing lots of repairs yourself,atleast this site has tons of info and very helpful members,hope this helps.Please post what you find.

Jasonboz56

#4 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jan 4 2013, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you looked down the throttle body while cranking to see if the injectors are spraying?Have you replaced your in-line fuel filter?Check yor screen in the tank,maybe its cloged.Check for spark,the pencil coil have been known to rust.Last but not least,check you quick connects to the fuel tank to see if they have been gutted,do a search here to find out how.Is it back firing while cranking,that could mean a spun flywheel.Owning a Cannondale means doing lots of repairs yourself,atleast this site has tons of info and very helpful members,hope this helps.Please post what you find.

Thank you guys. Yeah it is a stock machine I think. I don't know if i could get to Scottsdale any time soon but if you come out here and might have the time please get ahold of me. I don't really wanna do anything other than get it running and keep it stock but i sure would like to ride it lol. Anyways here's the latest. After researching I took the relay off under the air filter last night and miraculously it ran great but my tires were low so I waited until today. But now it started and seemed fined then died then started then seemed fine. Now it won't even crank over. It will prime the engine then that's it. I fully charged the battery but it just won't crank. I'm dumbfounded.

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

Put a volt meter on the battery terminals to make sure you have at least 12.6 or higher if it is fully charged. Then hit the start button and see what it does to if it goes below 9 volts cranking or not it is done. The quality of batteries these days has gone into the dump especially with what is coming out of the asian countries. There is an automotive blade type fuse somewhere in the harness under the seat most likely and that would be the next place to check.

Jasonboz56

#6 Post by Jasonboz56 »

Thank you so much! I just this second fixed it!!!! It was the vacum lines from the ecu to the airbox and I'm honestly not sure what the third went to down by the battery. But they were all rotted! Less than $5 worth of 5/32 vacum line and she fired right up! Must have some safety cut off that wouldnt allow it to turn over without vacum. I'm finishing the reassembly then gonna test it for real right after. Again thanks so much!

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I think your injectors must have freed up from fresh fuel. . The tiny vent lines do nothing but add weight to the quad.

Jasonboz56

#8 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 5 2013, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your injectors must have freed up from fresh fuel. . The tiny vent lines do nothing but add weight to the quad.

Would the vacum lines stop it from turning over? The injectors freeing up could explain the original problem of dying when throttle was applied but have I figured out why it wouldn't crank over? I'm trying to earn my Cannondale ownership😊 and don't wanna get stranded somewhere if I only stumbled onto it working so well right now.

Jasonboz56

#9 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (Jasonboz56 @ Jan 5 2013, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would the vacum lines stop it from turning over? The injectors freeing up could explain the original problem of dying when throttle was applied but have I figured out why it wouldn't crank over? I'm trying to earn my Cannondale ownership😊 and don't wanna get stranded somewhere if I only stumbled onto it working so well right now.

So you were definitely right. I got nervous after reading your post and went and tried to start it and once again it will prime the engine but won't crank over. Got any ideas why it's intermittently not cranking over? If I can get it to crank over it start and runs like a angry bull...

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

if it doesn't crank but primes it is most likely the solenoid could also be the clutch safety switch or the start button.

My speed has a bad spot in the solenoid and won't crank every now and then. I just use the hook on my teather and cross over the two large studs on the solenoid. careful not to get sparks in the eye or burn your fingers. I keep saying I'm going to get a new one but never do. Last time I had problems with it I got mad and tore it apart and cleaned all the contacts in it and it has worked ever since.