Intermittently wont crank over.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jasonboz56

#1 Post by Jasonboz56 »

My Cannondale speed 440 runs amazing when I can get it started but for some reason it only cranks over when if wants to. It always primes the engine and when it won't crank over I can here the relay. I can't figure out why it cranks sometimes and won't others. Help a newbie please!

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

check the wires that go to the clutch switch or just bypass them by tying them together. Also could be your start button or the solenoid down by the battery... the small wires going into that are notorious about breaking where they go into it. If you need another one there are a couple of different styles.

Jasonboz56

#3 Post by Jasonboz56 »

First off thank you to Caniboomer for the long phone call and help today! Turns out I had dirty bullet connectors from start button and kill switch so I thoroughly cleaned them. Now it seems to crank fine but won't start. So I go to pull the plug and its about only half way in very loose. I pull the plug and it has a very bright spark way brighter than I had expected. So just to be safe even though the gas seems fine to smell I change it and put fresh gas in. Walla it seems to be starting and running fine now. Still not sure I didn't just get lucky. Might still be a problem, ill find out tomorrow when I tidy up the wires and put the body back on and take it for a test ride. At least now I know it has good spark and with only half a tank if gas I see rapid fluid flow in the tank so my fingers are crossed. Thanks again Caniboomer ill be getting ahold of you soon if I can swing that trip...

speedracer

#4 Post by speedracer »

Thats good news,maybe it wasnt getting good fire in the cylinder with the plug half installed,good-luck.

Jasonboz56

#5 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jan 8 2013, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats good news,maybe it wasnt getting good fire in the cylinder with the plug half installed,good-luck.

Rode her today, she's insane, I have trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground until 4th gear. I know it has a full hmf exhaust system but don't know if anything else has been done to it but I'm loving it. I have had a lt250r a 400ex a 660 raptor and a warrior and none of them compare....

cannonman

#6 Post by cannonman »

I know what ya mean, I ride with a big bore 400, a Raptor 660 that's got some work done, and a Raptor 700, none of em handle near as good as the Dale, and only the worked 700 can beat it in 300 feet. We will see what my worked Pred will do against it when I get it put back together!!! LOVE my Dale!!!

Jasonboz56

#7 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (cannonman @ Jan 9 2013, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what ya mean, I ride with a big bore 400, a Raptor 660 that's got some work done, and a Raptor 700, none of em handle near as good as the Dale, and only the worked 700 can beat it in 300 feet. We will see what my worked Pred will do against it when I get it put back together!!! LOVE my Dale!!!

I had a predator for a short time. What's your take on the two since you own both?

cannonman

#8 Post by cannonman »

I love my Pred, handles really good, especially now I've got Elkas all the way around, but its HEAVY. The weight never really bothered me or did I notice it, until I got the Dale, it makes the Pred feel like a tank. The Pred handles whoops a lot better than the Dale cause of the longer wheelbase and longer travel, has ALOT more torque. The Pred snapped the keyway, so gotta get that and the one way starter fixed, then ill see how close they are in drags. But overall, the Dale is a better all around package, lighter, can turn WAY better, and after I get the suspension done, prolly do whoops as good. Just my .02 .

Jasonboz56

#9 Post by Jasonboz56 »

QUOTE (cannonman @ Jan 9 2013, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love my Pred, handles really good, especially now I've got Elkas all the way around, but its HEAVY. The weight never really bothered me or did I notice it, until I got the Dale, it makes the Pred feel like a tank. The Pred handles whoops a lot better than the Dale cause of the longer wheelbase and longer travel, has ALOT more torque. The Pred snapped the keyway, so gotta get that and the one way starter fixed, then ill see how close they are in drags. But overall, the Dale is a better all around package, lighter, can turn WAY better, and after I get the suspension done, prolly do whoops as good. Just my .02 .

I'm 6'7" 250lbs so I kinda miss the size of the pred and I actually liked the steering but I gotta say I'm so glad to have my dale