Bike Clutch Basket

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I have been finding mixed baskets in engines I've bought. I now have a few of 85 tooth count i believe and some 86. Correct me if wrong but the 86's are from the bike models?
But are there any reasons to or not to use one of these in a quad? Considering using one on a big stroker I plan to build. Anyone have experience doing that?

Also, I recall someone saying the crank counterbalancer was a different weight on the bikes than the quads. Truth to this? None of the ones I have weigh any different but you never know if there could've been some changes by previous owners.

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

not sure which came from which, but why would you want to use a lower gear ratio on a stroker motor?

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Bike crank gears have one more tooth and the clutch basket had fewer teeth . So be aware you need to have both matching gears. I have not heard of a different counterbalancer . it really wouldnt make any sense either as everything is the same as far as crank and piston weight.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 3 2013, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not sure which came from which, but why would you want to use a lower gear ratio on a stroker motor?

The bike gearset gears the engine taller. The motard 5th gear in the transmision gears 5th down just a bit so that is handy for a race engine. I use bike gear sets most of the time so you dont need to go to 15 and 16 tooth final drive front sprockets to enable crazy high top speeds. If its a dune engine or winter balloon tire engine then I opt for quad gears.

who_gives_a6

#5 Post by who_gives_a6 »

What would not having the matching bike/crank gears cause? I recently finished an engine and came across this. The clutch basket with less teeth is on it but unsure of the crank gear. Can always rip it apart again to verify just would be a pain. It's not in a chassis yet at least.

It's on a 478cc setup with dual exhaust and will be running 18" rears. Will rarely if ever see 5th gear so was thinking the bike setup may be ideal. Planning on a bigger build soon as well with same setup. On my 467cc with same setup except single exhaust and tall sprocket gearing it still seems short for my riding style.

polyesterpig

#6 Post by polyesterpig »

Using non-matching gearsets would be eventual destruction. Build it correctly, build it once.

who_gives_a6

#7 Post by who_gives_a6 »

That's what I figured. Took the cover off and am going to examine what I have. Just sucks to take it apart again. The crank gear that is different is the actual gear on the crank or the gear that is actually on the outside of the cartridge plate that the basket connects to?

Does anyone know the amount of teeth on the quad gear? I sent Tim one crank from a bike and one from a quad that came back for these builds. One is still in the shipping box which would tell me which one is in the case assembled if someone knows the teeth count. Will still tear down to be safe though.

who_gives_a6

#8 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Nevermind, I figured it out. The bike setup has 29 teeth on the outer crank gear and 85 on the basket. The quad setup has 28 on crank and 86 on the basket. Every crank I have has 40 on the pressed on gear. Now to decide to stick with the bike setup or not. Thinking it may be a good choice on this setup and for my riding.

Fyi: it is impossible to missmatch the gears as the clutch basket will not fit onto the wrong crank gear.

promod

#9 Post by promod »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Feb 4 2013, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I figured. Took the cover off and am going to examine what I have. Just sucks to take it apart again. The crank gear that is different is the actual gear on the crank or the gear that is actually on the outside of the cartridge plate that the basket connects to?

Does anyone know the amount of teeth on the quad gear? I sent Tim one crank from a bike and one from a quad that came back for these builds. One is still in the shipping box which would tell me which one is in the case assembled if someone knows the teeth count. Will still tear down to be safe though.

All the quads had a 28 tooth primary drive gear & 86 tooth clutch basket gear which was a 3.071 primary drive ratio, While most all bikes used a 29 tooth primary drive gear and a 85 tooth clutch basket gear combination yeilding a 2.931 primary drive ratio..and i say most bikes because in the end C'Dale was using whatever clutch combos they had left as i have seen some of the later '03 E/C440 bikes with the factory installed 28/86 atv primary drive combo (and my '03 E440A with the factory installed Revlok auto clutch is a atv primary combo ratio)!, which the last produced 86t. baskets were needle bearing type also (there was no 85t. needle bearing type bike baskets!), which also according to C'Dale there plans were to use the new needle bearing type atv baskets and ratio combo in all the '04 bikes and quads...but of course that never happened! wink.gif , but interesting enough if you look at the owners manuals for the '02 and '03 bikes in the specs it gives the atv primary drive ratio's? wacko.gif

But just make sure you use matching primary drive sets because like Polyesterpig said "Using non-matching gearsets would be eventual destruction" sad.gif

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Feb 4 2013, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nevermind, I figured it out. The bike setup has 29 teeth on the outer crank gear and 85 on the basket. The quad setup has 28 on crank and 86 on the basket. Every crank I have has 40 on the pressed on gear. Now to decide to stick with the bike setup or not. Thinking it may be a good choice on this setup and for my riding.

Fyi: it is impossible to missmatch the gears as the clutch basket will not fit onto the wrong crank gear.

Thats funny we must have been posting the answer at the same time! laugh.gif