2001 MX400 won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
uneasy_rider

#1 Post by uneasy_rider »

I recently replaced the cam chain support bracket on my MX and shortly thereafter it wouldn't start anymore. I just noticed that I have coolant in my gear oil which I am pretty certain I may have pinched the o-ring on the wrist clip access port while swapping out the bracket. Before I discovered the coolant, I did a compression check and it was only about 75 PSI (With throttle WFO), and I noticed pressure on the radiator overflow. Will the o-ring cause any of the other issues besides the coolant in the gear oil? My experience with the dales is going in the crapper with this one lately and could really use some insight on whether I need to rebuild or???????? Thanks for any feedback.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Don't think of what you just repaired think overall. You have compression in the tranny side. You probably have a cracked sleeve or a bad head gasket. If the o-ring were pinched the coolant would seep but not the compression....

uneasy_rider

#3 Post by uneasy_rider »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 28 2013, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't think of what you just repaired think overall. You have compression in the tranny side. You probably have a cracked sleeve or a bad head gasket. If the o-ring were pinched the coolant would seep but not the compression....

I agree, but what confuses me is that prior to the work I did, it ran good with no issues, although I never got a baseline compression number.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

These engines have a decompresion mechanism and 75 psi is well within the range to start the engine. I would suspect the cams were not in time if it didnt start after the repair.