crank shaft installation

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
exotic rider

#1 Post by exotic rider »

ok,
so I am SURE someone on here has dealt with the pain in the f in #$% flywheel side bearing and getting it pressed onto the the crank,I thought i was smart and ordered a crank shaft puller tool that is supposed to aide in this very circumstance but all that ended up happening is the bearing is damaged and so is my ego.It looks like the race of the collar is psychically bigger than the size of the bearing on the flywheel side but since i took it apart with this same collar I know that is not the case,however I am lost for ideas here. any suggestions ????thanks ahead of time.

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Not sure I understand what the problem is. pics might help

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Im kind of at a loss as to a special puller for installing the flywheel side race . Removing the race without damage is the hard part. Sticking the crank in the freezer and heating the race in a frying pan until it is WARM will usually let the race slide on with a gentle tap with a deepwell socket. Of course this needs to be done with gloves in a few seconds so preparation is crucial. A shop press while supporting only the flywheels side with a support plate is preffered method . By this I mean you would not be pinching the crank halves together as this would ruin the crank. Do not heat the crank with a torch.
The only cranks I have seen have problems with installing flywheel side bearing is falicons as they were just built to the wrong interference fit. It might be possible I could come up with an extra race if your is broken.

exotic rider

#4 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 12 2013, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im kind of at a loss as to a special puller for installing the flywheel side race . Removing the race without damage is the hard part. Sticking the crank in the freezer and heating the race in a frying pan until it is WARM will usually let the race slide on with a gentle tap with a deepwell socket. Of course this needs to be done with gloves in a few seconds so preparation is crucial. A shop press while supporting only the flywheels side with a support plate is preffered method . By this I mean you would not be pinching the crank halves together as this would ruin the crank. Do not heat the crank with a torch.
The only cranks I have seen have problems with installing flywheel side bearing is falicons as they were just built to the wrong interference fit. It might be possible I could come up with an extra race if your is broken.
I fugured the problem out aftet talking with boomer,i had the wrong race on the wrong bearing,as far as the puller i bought its the "proper" tool for any crankshaft install ,it simple threads onto the flywheel side and press againt the case in the area of the bearing and then you tighten the bolt on the
other end and that applies force to the shaft thus forces the crank to align and slide into its proper position.

exotic rider

#5 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 12 2013, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fugured the problem out aftet talking with boomer,i had the wrong race on the wrong bearing,as far as the puller i bought its the "proper" tool for any crankshaft install ,it simple threads onto the flywheel side and press againt the case in the area of the bearing and then you tighten the bolt on the
other end and that applies force to the shaft thus forces the crank to align and slide into its proper position.
sixty bucks from rockymountain mc.com,

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/1...-Installer-Tool
Is this what you are trying to use?

The Cannondale outer bearing installer is Kent moore CM-502452 and the race installer is CM- 503873 (aka a deepwell socket)
I usually use a press to install the outer bearing and large backup socket that fits around the flywheel mounting posts so your not touching them when pressing. Heating the case helps a lot here as well.

exotic rider

#7 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 12 2013, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/1...-Installer-Tool
Is this what you are trying to use?

The Cannondale outer bearing installer is Kent moore CM-502452 and the race installer is CM- 503873 (aka a deepwell socket)
I usually use a press to install the outer bearing and large backup socket that fits around the flywheel mounting posts so your not touching them when pressing. Heating the case helps a lot here as well.

yes that is the tool i bought which will work once i get the new bearing/race.

exotic rider

#8 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 12 2013, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes that is the tool i bought which will work once i get the new bearing/race.

Just wanted to give a update on the crank installation,with the tool i purchased the crank went in without any glitches or need to heat or freeze the parts,just a fair amount of oil on the bearing itself and the race of course .I would recommend the tool for anyone that has had issues with installing the crank,also the tool will assist in removing the crank which would be presumably just as easy.