50hp on stock bottom end

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
j2004jeepwrangler

#1 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Ok I've tried search for this topic, but can't find it. On other 450 quads they can seems like 50hp isn't to hard. What my question is is it possible to get 50hp with a 450 piston kit. I don't want to do any stroker kits or big bore kits. I would like to do a 450 with 12.5 or a 13.1 comprestion. With mild port work and bored throttle body. With the stock cam degrees. With that achieve 50hp? I have to buy another head as mine had the injectors reangled. I guess in all I would like to build a 450 cc bike that will keeo up with the newer 450's quads that have work done to them like cams porting and rejetted. Keep in mind I wanna keep this bike in a 450 class not an open class. I wanna get atleast 50hp.

j2004jeepwrangler

#2 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Ok after digging more a 450 kit only add 1-2 hp? Thats makes no sense to me. Other bikes can gain atleast 4-7 hp. I know porting helps a lot. But what about a 450 with atleast a 13.5 ratio. Shouldnt you get more with the increase compresion. I would really like to find out is I can atleast get 55 hp. With out going over 450cc.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

You are comparing apples with oranges. You need to make sure where they are all getting that 50hp from. The crank or the rear wheels. On a motorcycle I can get low to mid 40's with a stone stock motor and some good tuning at the rear wheel. Quads are a little less due to the extra drag of the heavier wheels and axle. I have gotten 50HP at the rear wheels on a stock motor with porting and a open air box / good exhaust. So a big bore piston kit and or stroker is not needed to get 50 at the rear wheels on a Cannondale. However, you are not going to get too much more than that. At the motor add about 7 HP to the above numbers. The 1-2 HP numbers quoted for a big bore kit are actual. They do change the manners of the motor quite a bit though. More torque in different places is one of the most noticable.

Good Luck

wanablaze

#4 Post by wanablaze »

To add to what kdeal said:

1-2rwhp for a 450 kit seems realistic no matter the brand. Unless you're changing the compression dramatically, I can't see anything gaining 7rwhp from just a 450 kit. The head porting and cam timing is where it's at on a Cannondale. A stroker makes great usable/tractable power out of the corners and can be lugged around the track. A big bore likes to rev a bit more but is harder to put the power down. My 450 can run with my dad's 495 in a straight line but just can't put the power down in a slick corner.

My suggestion is to go with a 2.2mm stroke, stock sized asso or CP replacement piston, ported head, and a tune. That's what I'm hoping my next motor will be. Not sure what kind of cam timing you'd need to get the best power curve. Hopefully someone else knows.

j2004jeepwrangler

#6 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Im trying to get atleast 50 hp. And not going over. 450cc. A yfz can push 57 hp with a 14.1 piston. Madd port work cam mod intake and exhaust ane bord carb. I had my butt handed to me today when I raced a yfz450. It actually pissed me off. Not olny did he out run me , he talk crap about the cannondale. So my goal it to get more power to recliam myself. And I don't wanna go over 450cc if one is made ill run a 14.1 have another head ported for full out race. Try and figure out the best cam degrees. And run a different exhaust. Right now its the ATK weapon mx. Just striaght thru pipe.

beanie$440$peed

#7 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (j2004jeepwrangler @ Mar 25 2013, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im trying to get atleast 50 hp. And not going over. 450cc. A yfz can push 57 hp with a 14.1 piston. Madd port work cam mod intake and exhaust ane bord carb. I had my butt handed to me today when I raced a yfz450. It actually pissed me off. Not olny did he out run me , he talk crap about the cannondale. So my goal it to get more power to recliam myself. And I don't wanna go over 450cc if one is made ill run a 14.1 have another head ported for full out race. Try and figure out the best cam degrees. And run a different exhaust. Right now its the ATK weapon mx. Just striaght thru pipe.

A stock cannondale will outrun a stock 450yfz...but a moded vs stock? Thats not even fair to race...then talk crap...dudes a jerk

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

When I discussed your WWE ported head I told you it would be no better or perhaps worse than stock. The reangled injector mess is like sticking a 1 barrel carb on a big block chevy. The stock piston is limited by cc's and compression so 50 horse with a performance pipe has pretty much been the limit. (yes there was a couple exceptions) When you can bump up compresion with a 450 piston that opens the door to mid 50's power. Im talking or real ported heads now not the cleanup job ones .
This is the only 450 engine I think I have ever built.

j2004jeepwrangler

#9 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I know the head I have is junk. And I just got worked up. My plan is to buy a stock head and have ported. Do a 450 13.1 and try figure out what degree to set my cams. And get a good exhaust. Sorry for the drama lol. I got all worked up. I was told before we raced it just had a pipe and jet kit. Well we raced 5 times lost 4 times. Then starts doging on my bike about how unreliable they are. That if they wasn't junk they wouldnt have went bankrupt. Long story short after all the arguing he finally tells me his bike actualy had all that work done to it and after seeing him up at the the feed store today that when he didn't spray I would hang with him. And say he has a 15hp no2 shot, an offered to sale it to me. But I don't recall ever seeing a bottle.

j2004jeepwrangler

#10 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

Hey poly idk if your getting my pms but I can send pictures thru a text. 9187980115