need new piston and valves

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannonboom

#1 Post by cannonboom »

hey guys I just joined the forum and picked up a cannondale canibal which was non running.. I took starter off and motor would lock up at 180degrees so I pulled motor out saw the timing chain was loose and guides were melted and broken off I felt relief that maybe the plastic guides were locking the motor up but as soon as I pulled the head I saw 1 intake valve and 1 exhaust valve head stuck in the top of piston... luckily the head isnt banged up and the sleeve is in good shape but its gonna need new piston and valves.. where can I find a aftermarket piston for it? I called cp and they said its a minimum of 4 pistons ($900) so thats out of the question and I cant find any valves for it... my 2nd question is now that the motors out and torn down what should I update or replace? im new to the cannondales so I dont know the common problems... my valve cover has some pitting by the waterpump.. any help would be great thanks guys

haulinit

#2 Post by haulinit »

Best bang for the buck would be go with a stock piston and sleeve, aluminum valve cover, Z400 connecting rod bearing (big end). For stock parts I would check the site vendors at the top of the forum. For go fast goodies their are several members on here that can point you in the correct direction.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

I have tried every aftermarket piston made for these and the stock piston is the only one that I have gotten good long term use out of... in fact I have yet to wear one out or fail. The best power gains are from porting and after that getting rid of the air box and going to a pod filter. Canniboomer has no dimple liners that work great and the air filter set up and while you are at it the fuel flow mod is worth while. I am sure he has valves too and everything at fair prices.

cannonboom

#4 Post by cannonboom »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Aug 28 2013, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have tried every aftermarket piston made for these and the stock piston is the only one that I have gotten good long term use out of... in fact I have yet to wear one out or fail. The best power gains are from porting and after that getting rid of the air box and going to a pod filter. Canniboomer has no dimple liners that work great and the air filter set up and while you are at it the fuel flow mod is worth while. I am sure he has valves too and everything at fair prices.

great info thanks!