Rebuild Options

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jeremyjo

#1 Post by jeremyjo »

What's the best deal going these days for having the engine rebuilt/updated?

I've got an 02 x440s that probably hasn't had the updates done and has a few mystery rattles in the motor, especially when it's hot. It runs well and doesn't appear to be using any oil. The oil filter hasn't had any metal in it that I've been able to find the last couple of oil changes.

I've got it plated and use it to take the shortcut to work some days, so I spend a little time a constant speeds and higher RPMs and it seems to vibrate a bit. Would balancing the crank have any effect on those vibes or is it just the nature of these engines?

omegas

#2 Post by omegas »

Sounds like every other cannondale. But you'll want to get that crank updated before you put to many miles on it and the rod bearing eats it up. If you're heavily mechanically inclined I'd say pull it down and send the crank to one of the trusted builders on here to have that bearing replaced. Send the head along too to get ported if you want more HP at the top end. If not so heavily inclined, drop and send the complete motor out to one of our builders on here and you should be well taken care of. I've got two of my motors over at KDeal right now and while I can't comment on his work just yet, many others on here can. I can say he keeps in contact regularly though.

jeremyjo

#3 Post by jeremyjo »

That's about what I figured.

Looking through the engine manual makes it look like disassembling it down to the crank would take a few specialized tools that I don't have access to.

Black Widow ATV advertises a price for a straight engine swap, so I'm figuring that's the worst case cost; I haven't talked with anyone about it yet though.

omegas, your sig mentions a big brake kit on your E. That sounds like an interesting project, got any details on it?