miss shifting ?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
werty

#1 Post by werty »

Took the new 450 cannibal I just pick up out for some beat down thrashing today. After a while we drag raced a few times every run with or with out the clutch couldn't get a good shift from 3 4 5. Under heavy acceleration seems I can't shift. Is there something to look for as far as clearances? Never been on a dale that did this.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Just curious but did you change out the transmission oil since you picked it up? Was it filled to the correct level? I'm sure you did...it's in my IT nature to start with the easy stuff first.

werty

#3 Post by werty »

Yes its at the correct level. Now viscocity? Thats a good question. Does viscocity effect the shifting?

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

like jesshammersaid basics first. make sure you have good clean oil. a few checks I would mention is make sure the trans filter is in place and not floating around. if you drain and refill, check for metal shavings. the also wiggle the shifter. it had for me to explain and I can't remember excatly how it was put together wrong, but I had one that the pin/bolt that the spring which centers the shifter was put in wrong (I believe you can install it from either side of the cartage plate) and there was quite a bit of slop between the sping and the centering pin. i never road this quad before I tore it down but did notice the slop in the shifter and when shifting on the bench it miss a lot and I believe it was the upshifts. The sprinng didn't bring it back far enough for the pawl to catch.

Banshees have an offset pin witch you have to adjust or you could have problems up shifting or down depending which way you are off

werty

#5 Post by werty »

That's exactly how it seems to shift. After talking to Brad at black widow he thinks its missing a small washer on the shift rod around this area you are talking about. This said washer takes up a lot of play in the shifting mechanism. So tomorrow I will actually remember my wallet and order the washer and get new oil. This will be my first time in the Cannondale motor. Hopefully everything goes right.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I just went out and looked at my spare trans. the pin/bolt that the centering spring goes over can be installed backwards. it has a pin on both ends the thinner goes inward or the tranny side of the cartrage plate, it has a spring hooked on it. the thicker pin fits snugly between the centering spring.

the washer kit is differant from what I am talking about but deffinatly worth installing. you can install the washer/shimms without removing the trans cartrage but if the pin/bolt is in backwards you will have to remove the trans.

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Just looked thru the manual to see if I could find anything on this pin/bolt. nothing I could find but iff you go to page 141, the top pic you can see the top of it right behind the #1 the circul around the #1 takes out about a 1/4 of it. then on page 149 bottom pic you can see the tranny side of it. the spring (#5) for the detent hooks on it. fineally, on page 150, pic on the right you can see the clutch side of it. its just above the "TL" tube, you can see the hex part of the bolt also

Hope this helps.